Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is it wrong to continue driving?

2»

Comments

• H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 498
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Keep in mind if your DH has even a bit of anosognosia he is probably not going to be a good judge of his ability to drive. As the dementia progresses he may end up fighting you about not driving. It’s a very common theme here. If he is willing to give it up now, I would get the keys while you can! Like others I also just don’t think it’s worth taking the chance with his life or the life of others. I would be concerned that if he passes a driving test that is maybe not real through (not testing response times etc.) it may make it very difficult for you to get him to stop driving when there is no longer a question about his ability to drive.

• Gradiamc43
    Gradiamc43 Member Posts: 2
    Third Anniversary First Comment

My husband keeps saying that he is an excellent driver. I have him on Life360 so that I could keep up with his driving. He would go out alone and I caught him driving 91MPH on the highway. He would forget which exit to take and would stop in the street to figure out which exit to take. His responses are slower. I was informed by a policeman that if he had a wreck, we could be sued because of his medical condition. I got three doctors to give me paperwork showing he had Alzheimer's and sent the paperwork to DPS. His license was revoked for our safety and our savings. It was a hard decision, but I did not want him getting into an accident, harming himself or others.

• kimeche
    kimeche Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I'm so sorry that you are going through this too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more