Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

60 Minutes Alzheimers and Dementia Compilation

Chammer
Chammer Member Posts: 140
Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This is a compilation of several 60 Minutes episodes from 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2024 that popped up in my Youtube feed. I found it heartwrenching but also felt that it might be beneficial t share w family and friends who don't understand the full scope of a dementia diagnosis on the patient and caregiver.

In the 2017 episode about a genetic type of Alz, they mention finding a treatment/cure in 5 years. That is this year and it doesnt seem like that has happened, sadly.

The episode from this year shows some very cutting edge treatments for dementia, Parkinsons and addiction that if effective and able to mainstream will be life changing indeed.

Please remove if sharing this isn't allowed!

Comments

• Dunno
    Dunno Member Posts: 47
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments
    edited April 11

Thank You for sharing this, Chammer.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you💜So real

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

It was a really good one this year!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you, Chammer. I am a 60 Minutes fan and had seen all of these episodes when originally aired. Nevertheless, I stayed up much too late and rewatched via your post. As I approach the 1 year anniversary of DH’s passing (4/21), my heart breaks for all of the people traveling this awful journey.
    DH and I were “Mike and Carol”, roles reversed- - garden variety Alzheimer’s- - with DH fading away little by little over 13 years. Like, Mike, I hoped to care for DH until the end. Although I didn’t suffer physical repercussions as a result of caregiving, the emotional stress was taking its toll, and my kids stepped in and DH spent his final 17 months in a MCF. In spite of everything, my journey was a walk in the park in comparison to the young wife and mother of 4. It’s all overwhelming at times; at stage 8, I am free, but never truly “free”.
    Thanks for posting, as sad and scary as it is, it’s a valuable resource.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more