Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

UPDATE 4/19/24

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 884
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The infection is 99% healed with antibiotics! Thank you for your prayers. My husband is declining faster now but some days he's more aware & communicative than others. They have increased his medications for agitation to the point he's almost a zombie. When I visited him last week he was in bed and hadn't even gotten dressed that day because they had just increased his meds. They did want him to stay off his foot so it could heal & both of his feet were very swollen. Going to visit Sunday.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers.

Diane

My husband is in a VA memory care facility. They are providing good care. My husband is a diabetic and now has an infection in his foot (started 2 weeks ago). They are giving him antibiotics and have upped his medication for agitation and he's basically bedridden. I'm so concerned about the foot infection. If he has to go to the hospital there is nobody to go with him. My double mastectomy is scheduled for 4/25. Trying to stay positive and not do "what ifs" but this scares me. We know many diabetics who have had amputations due to infections in their feet & legs. If that time comes (and I pray it won't), what do I decide? He seems to be going downhill faster lately and I'm sure amputation would accelerate that. Would he even want that? My anxiety is through the roof with worry. What would you do?

Comments

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I have to agree with M1. That is assuming that he is already late stage, unable to communicate. I wouldn’t want to put my DH through that kind of experience. Especially at this point and his inability to understand.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Nothing additional to add except I’m sending you strength and comfort in the days ahead. I’ve thought of you since you have had your own health issues. I am so sorry you’re having these 2 major life stressors coincide.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

SDianeL, The punches keep coming your way . I am so sorry and wish there an easy answer. I would imagine surgery and recovery for him would be very difficult especially since you indicate he is declining cognitively also. I think M1 gave a realistic honest answer . (((HUGS)))

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

SDianeL, I prayed for you and your DH last night, before even seeing/reading this. M1 is right. Comfort for your DH is what is important in this situation. And taking care of you. Hugs and prayers for DH and for your upcoming surgery.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I have nothing new to add. M1’s answer said it best. I am so very sorry this is happening to you and your dear husband. You will both be in my prayers.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry that all this is happening at once. I agree with M1. Good thoughts.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more