Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Orthostatic hypotension

My DH has been suffering from orthostatic hypotension as well as a haywire GI system. I have read autonomic dysfunction can happen with alzheimers patients. He is up and down all night long 15-20x. Noone is sleeping and the meds they have tried: risperidone, flimax and trazadone have all made the low BP much worse. He is now off of all meds except a statin. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with these symptoms?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Do his feet and legs swell at night? Fluid retention during the day may be causing him to awaken so often during the night. Compression hose and elevation of legs as much as possible may help with fluid retention. Does he need the statin? Ask the doctor.

Iris

• RetiredTeacher
    RetiredTeacher Member Posts: 36
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

No leg swelling but he does have an enlarged prostate that presses on his bladder making him feel pressure frequently. He does need the statin because he has atherosclerosis, has had 3 strokes abd 2 Vasculsr surgeries. I was just wondering if others are dealing with autonomic dysfunction issues.

• Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Have they ruled out MSA (multiple system atrophy)?

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I wasn’t sure what autonomic dysfunction was so I did a search and looked at this site for info. My.clevelandclinic.org for Dysautonomia. Sorry, I don’t know how to make that a live link.

I don’t know if my husband has this or not but it’s possible. In 2019, a year before he was diagnosed, he had an episode of syncope and was hospitalized for a day and a half. They did a whole bunch of tests and determined that the syncope was due to Flomax which he was on for an enlarged prostate. So they took him off Flomax and he had prostate surgery 6 mos later. Since then he has had I think 4 fainting spells. I didn’t drag him to the ER for any of these. Since he was diagnosed, he increasingly complains of being woozy and wobbly, he has balance and gait issues and a runny nose. Just in the past few months he has had 2 episodes of nausea and vomiting. In the 45 yrs I’ve know him, he had never vomited. These are all symptoms of autonomic dysfunction. I have no idea if the autonomic dysfunction is due to the dementia but I have assumed that the symptoms DH has are due to his dementia.

Thanks for raising the issue!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney