Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia caused by trauma for 31 yr old

Has anyone else navigated dementia from severe ptsd and trauma? Especially being in 30s. My situation is unique as my person also recovered once before and has relapsed due to concussions plus trauma and fluctuates depending on stress level and ptsd.

They're super coherent and able to articulate most of time etc. We both have chronic illness. And we know AD runs in their family so are being thoughtful as the are things we can do to support recovery from PCS and trauma.

Curious if anyone else has navigated this

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited April 16

Cognitive changes from traumatic brain injury is not considered to be dementia because it is not progressive and terminal, although there is a lot of overlap in signs and symptoms. I attended two brain injury support groups for a while.

Iris

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’ll leave this one to our more experienced members. I am say that our granddaughter had a bad concussion last year and it took months for her to recover all her cognition.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I have no experience with this, but my curiosity was piqued due to a recent news item regarding a former TV weatherman here in Pittsburgh who went public with his CTE. While PCS is not progressive, CTE is, with symptoms similar to dementia. I found a website for the Concussion Legacy Foundation (concussionfoundation.org). They appear to have caregiving resources and a private Facebook group.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more