Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying not to worry

My DH has been in memory care for six weeks now. He had a rough start—was very confused—but seems to be slowly adjusting. However…he’s had two episodes of agitation that got physical. In the first one he had a panic attack and hit a door. Today the memory care nurse called me and when I got on the phone with my DH, he told me he’d been in the park, and had to defend himself from attack, and was now at the police station. I asked to speak with a policewoman and when the nurse got on the phone she said my DH had gotten agitated and went out to the courtyard through an emergency exit. When the staff tried to calm him, he struck out at them, but luckily didn’t hit anyone.

The nurse wasn’t upset-just said, “Well that’s dementia,” but I’m concerned. He’s on 150 mg of Seroquel, which does help, but apparently not enough. I’m not sure what to do?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

There's plenty of room to increase that dose, particularly if he's a big guy, and I would certainly ask about it. It could easily be doubled (gradually of course) and doses up to800 mg per day are used in schizophrenia.

• Noemit1966
    Noemit1966 Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Dear clarinetist, I am sorry you are going through a hard time with your DH and his disease. How many years did you care for him before putting him in a memory care? I have my mother in a nursing home. She is 83 years old with dementia. She no longer recognizes us and thinks dad is still alive. She runs around the facility calling out his name and all of her daughters. I tried so hard to care for her until she started to do her necessities on herself and all over my carpet floors. She didn't want to bathe or shower, brush her teeth, give me her dirty clothes, she wouldn't sleep, go outdoors, and more. She was hospitalized with a fall and then sent to rehabilitation and that's where she has been living. The nursing home calls me about my mom, and it kills me. I can hear my mom at times screaming in the background and calling out for my dad who has been deceased 3 years ago.

My husband is only 61 but he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 57. He is in the moderate category of this disease. I hate seeing him decline. My heart is broken for the both of them. My husband is on sertraline for depression/anxiety, donepezil, memantine for the disease and many other supplements the PCP suggested. I'm sorry I'm not sure what the above medication is. I'm here to listen.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks, M1 and noemit. I will ask his Geri-psych about upping the dose. I’m sorry to hear about your mother and husband, Noemit. I’m in the same boat: my mother and husband both have dementia. My sister is the lead for my mom’s care so I don’t have to do as much for her. I kept my husband at home for six years. The memory care does call periodically so I can calm down my husband. I visited him today and he remembered yesterday’s incident. I guess strong emotions do help make a memory stronger. The staff didn’t seem too worried about his behavior, but I want to keep on top of his meds so will be following M1’s suggestion.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more