Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Let's take a minute to celebrate the life we had

RickM
RickM Member Posts: 115
Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

My wife is in the last stage of dementia. It's unbearably hard to watch. I put together a video of pictures that plays in her room filled with pictures of our life together and our many trips. We had a great life and I now look back upon that with gratitude. She seems to watch it. I love watching it and try to identify all of the locations that the pictures are from.

I also play DVD's of concerts of her favorite artists, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen. It's fun to watch these and other concert DVD's again and it makes hanging out with her in these last days/months? more fun for me.

It's a tough journey. Best wishes to all of us on it.

Rick

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick, I’m sorry you have arrived at this point in the journey but feel we’re not far behind you on this long road. I wish you strength and peace in the days ahead.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So sorry you are at this point in this journey but it sounds like you are making it meaningful. Stay strong.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Very beautiful sentiment. I, too, try to focus on the wonderful times I had with my DH, even if our time was cut short. Such a great idea to make that video as I'm sure it brings her some joy.

Thinking of you and all the others as your journey winds down. May you find peace and strength.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My late DH (not alz) was a huge Neil Young fan. Next week is his birthday. I've been getting signs all week that he is still working to look after me. Your dear wife is blessed with your love.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick,

This is such a hard time for you, I remember it well. During the final several years of DH’s life, when he no longer related to us, I found it really difficult to remember him as “whole”, before Alz, and it was unbearably sad. When he passed, my DDIL put together a 43 minute slide show, set to music meaningful to us which was shared at his viewing, the funeral luncheon following, and which remains on the funeral home website. I’ve watched it many times, sometimes late at night, and again just this morning as I approach the 1 year anniversary of his passing. Like you, “we had a great life” and I, too, look back on it with gratitude and with no regrets. The video is a great comfort and really brings him back. I wish you well; this is such a sad time for you.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you all for your kind comments ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia