Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Any ideas for me to stop worrying...

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I am, and have always been, a worry wart. But I've always been a great sleeper. Since my DH has had dementia, I've been waking up early and then having trouble getting back to sleep as my mind thinks about all the possible stresses coming up. The latest one is the hiring of a painting contractor for the house. I've got the quotes and am ready to move on it. But my DH is so unpredictable in his reactions now that I'm so nervous about how he'll handle it. I had some unnerving issues when we recently had a new driveway put in - DH got very angry as he wondered why they didn't get it done in one day, couldn't understand their multi day schedule, why they were late to start (they weren't, he just can't tell time anymore), etc. He kept saying we need to get someone else. I had a hard time dealing with this and now wondering if I'm going to go through it again since a paint job will span a few days. I guess I need to just take the plunge, get it over with, and hope for the best. It feels good to just get this off my chest but, geez I need to stop this worrying. I've got a lot left in this journey!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Early morning wakening like that is a sign of depression also Annie; of course there's an overlap for everyone between stress and depression.

Have you thought about maybe a respite stay for him while you get the work done? Or is there a family member who could take him somewhere for a few days? It's just a thought. Any disruption in routine is bound to cause upset.

I thought his wanting to show the driveway off was kinda cute, but I'm sure it got old really fast.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I was not a worrier but I became one after I retired to become a caregiver for my DW with dementia. I sought counseling which helps. I also run and walk to alleviate stress. Recently my internist put me on a low dose of antidepressant but it is too soon to know if it will help. Don't be afraid to seek help for yourself.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi, there, @annie51 , another charter member of the "worriers anonymous" club here. My DH is also intermittently angry and so I, too, have to plan projects or trips with his moods in mind. As for sleep, I have found that regular exercise helps, as did/does a low dose of antidepressant which my PCP prescribed when I told her I was a caregiver for DH and was having trouble sleeping. I would also endorse finding a counselor or therapist. It has helped me greatly.

Two other things have been helpful. First, before this illness, I never slept in another room. Now I do. That way every little twitch and turn my DH makes doesn't wake me. Also, lately (at my counselor's recommendation) I have been trying meditation practices. The jury's still out on that one, but early results have been promising, at least for me.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Thank you all for your insightful responses. Unfortunately for me, there are no family members or close enough friends nearby that could take him somewhere. I haven't sought out time away from him yet (for support groups or therapy) as he's with me ALL the time - even watching movies now he wants me to be there. I find ways to get my "work" done, like the finances, reading this forum, etc. by putting my laptop near the TV so I can pretend to watch with him! I know I will have to approach that in the near future but not sure how he'd react to it.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

@annie51

I know exactly where you are. I cannot leave my DW alone anymore, because she panics and thinks I'm never coming back. (I'll add that her current delusion is that she lived alone for a long time before I showed up. But, same house 42 years.) I feel like a prisoner, unable to do anything for myself. Even if we had nearby family or anyone else who could "spell" me for awhile, DW will ask why that person is here. She has become clingy. She chatters endlessly and repetitively about this and that. I have become good at doing stuff on my laptop while half listening and reciting practiced answers. It's exhausting.

I had DW going to a day program that gave me a few hours of peace, but had to drop it, because DW kept wanting to leave early. Considering travel time and the length of time I would have to myself, it was no longer worth it. I will look into getting a driver, but, again, I don't know whether she'll agree to having someone else take her to the program and then get her.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more