Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Social Security Denied-because of Teacher Retirement-no Property Tax Exemption

Young onset husband worked for 18 years as a teacher. He left 10 years ago for what we called "stress" then, but same symptoms he's experiencing now. Confirmed Alzheimers. Because he never wanted to return to school, he transferred out his measly retirement account to an IRA. We were just denied SSDI, I'm assuming because he didn't contribute for the 10 year mark. Okay, I guess, but we also can't file a freeze on Texas property taxes (which I get worried about) without a SSDI (which wouldn't apply to teachers!). Is all of this true or am I missing something? Any other teachers?

We also have 6 minors at home so I suppose they are penalized because their father worked for a noncontributing SSI entity? I don't want to milk the system, but surely this isn't correct?

Comments

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It’s my understanding that SSDI benefits are only available within 5 years of the last date of the applicant’s employment. If an applicant has been non-working for 5 years or longer, that might be an issue.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

One more thought, I’ve also heard that if the applicant is beyond the 5 year point, but they can prove they became disabled within that 5 year period, they may be able to get SSDI. Perhaps it would be beneficial to consult with an attorney specializing in Social Security Disability cases.

• wishiwasnthere
    wishiwasnthere Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid the cost of an attorney since I'm swimming in bills. I'm not sure how a doctor could prove it. My husband also didn't contribute for SSDI except for 4-5 years in his twenties. Now that he can't do much, we've had to start hiring help to take care of things on the ranch and in our business.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

See if you can find your local legal aid society. There might be free help available, you have nothing to lose by asking.

• BassetHoundAnn
    BassetHoundAnn Member Posts: 478
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Most SSDI attorneys don't charge the client fees beyond taking a small percentage of the first year's SSDI payment. The Social Security Administration imposes a cap of I think $4K-$5K in fees. You should contact disability advocacy groups in your area, and also contact some SSDI attorneys in your state. Initial consultations are usually free, and you don't pay the attorney anything unless the SSDI claim is ultimately successful.

• wishiwasnthere
    wishiwasnthere Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care