Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hiw many spouses sleep in another room?

My DH gets extremely anxious and agitated, sundowning is in full effect at our house. My husband is up and down all night long. Good nights 15x, many nights 25+. I can't take care of him if I'm not getting any sleep. Dr tried respiridine and trazadine but they decreased his BP to critical levels, 70/50. Off those meds, BP is in the liw normal range but neither of us gets much sleep. I've told him I'm going to sleep in the spare bedroom and he threw a fit. I need to save myself because if I get sick there is noone to take care of him and it's going to be devastating financially when he needs to go to a facility. I realize that financial hit is coming but he really doesn't need to go now. I just need to get some sleep. Can't fo this anymore. How do you folks handle this? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Comments

• rtlucas3
    rtlucas3 Member Posts: 6
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

A friend of mine used take his mom on long walks, when she wanted to stop he would just tell her a little further. He said she would be exhausted but it helped her sleep better at night. (Just a thought)

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I had a hospital stay last July and was put on blood thinners. My DH sometimes lives his dreams and has hit me before in the nightmare. I told him since I was on blood thinners I couldn’t chance a hit to the head that could cause a brain bleed. He agreed.

I also like to watch TV late and didn’t usually go to bed until after midnight. This works real well.

Another thing is I got a baby monitor (inexpensive one $21.00). My DH loves the security of knowing he can call me thru the monitor if he needs anything in the night.

• Pdxnewbie
    Pdxnewbie Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

My wife started to wander at night several months ago — it seemed like a decline I could not handle so we placed her in a memory care facility. That lasted 12 days and we brought her home. We started with 7 nights a week of care so I could sleep. My Wife has stabilized now I am down to 4 nights of care per week. I cannot explain the improvement but for now we can sleep together and we both can get decent rest. I realize things could devolve but I am grateful for stability at this point.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I sleep in the same room but in a separate bed. He developed REM sleep disorder and was flailing and throwing himself out of the bed when dreaming. He broke bones in his hand throwing a fist into the nightstand. That was when I couldn’t risk getting hurt. He uses a bed rail to protect himself from falling out any longer. And we switched to twin beds. The doctor started him on clonazepam and now he’s able to sleep soundly restfully. And I’m safe.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

In the middle stage my DH was up and down constantly, all night and into the next day. Medications were figured out and during a week long hospital stay and have worked very well for the last 3 years to keep him sleeping soundly for at least 9 hours, sometimes as many as 12. I have always slept in the same bed, or now that he is in a rented hospital bed because he can no longer manage the stairs, I sleep on the sofa next to him.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband took over what used to be one of our sons' bedroom. I stayed in ours. After getting stable on Seroquel, 150mg in the morning, 150 at night, he sleeps soundly. I sleep without his restless legs shaking the bed and waking me, without his snoring in my ear. Best of luck to you.

• millyfern
    millyfern Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I sleep in our spare bedroom. My husband would prefer that I sleep with him but because of his REM sleep disorder and hallucinations he understands why I can’t. Medications have helped but not eliminated the problems. I’m a light sleep if he needs me in the night I will hear him.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I sleep in our little spare bedroom with the door closed. I sleep very light and hear everything. He used to get up during the night and I would go calm him down, but since his pcp put him on Seroquel, he falls asleep between 6pm or 7pm in his recliner and then I wake him at 10pm to go to bed. He fusses around for an hour getting ready for bed, but then he sleeps all night until 8am or later. We do take a morning walk and a walk after dinner around 5:30pm. The fresh air is so good for both of us and it really tires him out.

• Cklaw
    Cklaw Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hello, new to forum found this topic relevant. DW diagnosed with EO and cerebral amyloid Angiopathy over 4 years ago, have been FT caregiver for over 3 years. A few episodes of sundowning but overall she sleeps pretty well. Only now she won’t go to bed without me and senses if I leave bedroom early morning, as I’m the insomniac. Used to be time that I had to myself. No major concerns with wandering, though she does want to leave when upset & frustrated. Think it’s time for some door alarms pre-emptively.
  • Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please consider asking the doctor for meds to help with your partner's sleep so that you can get some. I have been sleeping in our guest room since I had a bad fall and caused sleep problems for me. Even if that happened, I would be sleeping in another rom because he tosses and turns all night long.

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH would be up and down all night keeping me up all night as well. Doctor prescribed Seroquel which works well most nights. I don't know how he does it but sometimes it looks like he took the pill but I find it the next morning stashed away someplace. Some nights he just plain fights it and refuses to fall asleep. It's on those nights I tell him to go into the guest room. On those nights I find I sleep better than when he took the pill and was sleeping. Just crazy.

• chalfont
    chalfont Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Briefly: I'm a light sleeper & my husband snores and moves a lot while sleeping. I've slept in a separate bedroom for years, even before alzheimers. He hates that we have separate rooms, but it helps that I start each night in bed with him and dont leave until I first wake. He knows I'll join him again in the morning for another hour. He occasionally wakes early and comes to my room. It helps that I need less sleep than he does.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

I sleep in different room and use a baby monitor. My Dh feels very comfortable and less frighten with knowing I'm able to hear everything.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I already know there will come a day when I have to make this decision. My DW will hate it, but I'm already thinking I'll need to use some fibs. It's ok to do that sometimes to take care of yourself. You absolutely need to sleep. I kind of like the blood thinner real situation for LJCHR as a potential fib for you (Though sorry you had to go on thinners and be in the hospital, LJCHR!). Maybe you're taking them now too and the Dr. suggested you move bedrooms?

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I, too, was part of a couple who slept separately for a good long time. In our case, it preceded dementia and was a result of my DH's severe Restless Leg Syndrome, not to mention he also snored and sometimes kicked me in his sleep. As another poster said, I kind of phased it in by staying with him an hour or two, then moving to another room. That might be a way to help some of you.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

sleep in different rooms now. On sleep, got a prescription for 10 mg. Ambien, DW has paradoxical reactions to benzos, so Ativan didn't work. Use Ambien as my last resort to get her to sleep, added melatonin to her PM meds to get her sleepy, pushed back her pm med time to 830 with goal to get her to sleep around 9-930. Again, use the Ambien if she still won't sleep. May want to talk to your physician on mediation options.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Heh. I have the opposite problem. I continue to sleep nightly with DW. In the morning she will ask where I've been, when did I get in? That's particularly true if she gets up early and goes into another room. If we're not in the same room, I'm not here. Since I'm not here, she will claim she hasn't seen me in days/weeks/months. Her short-term memory is zilch.

• aaronlovesdiane
    aaronlovesdiane Member Posts: 3
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 12

It's back and forth here. I fall asleep with her most nights, then at some point I get up and know I'm not getting back to sleep there (her snoring, usually).

So it's upstairs to the Murphy bed in the loft. I can hear her. I put in a bedrail so I won't awake to the sound of a thud. But if she's awake and needs help, I'll hear her. (Bedrails were not an option early on because she was too active, so this may not yet be an option for you.)

I don't see the reason to tell Diane any of this. Of course if your DH asks you if you're going to the spare bedroom, you tell him no like any good caregiver would… 😂

• Elizabeth607
    Elizabeth607 Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I do. His snoring wakes me up all night long. Since I still work, it is necessary for me to get a regular night of sleep. Makes me less grouchy the following day too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more