Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MCF Rate Increases

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 681
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Do memory care facilities increase rates at will? I know that they will give you 60-day notice, but other than that, can they just increase whatever rate they want, whenever they want?

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

For the most part, yes. Most states minimally regulate "assisted living," which is what many memory care facilities are licensed as. Most are private pay only and they can charge what the market will bear. Nursing homes, which accept Medicare for brief stays, are much more closely regulated, although I don't know how much of that regulates pricing for families.

• Dio

What if your sign-in contract specifies a rate—can the MCF not honor that?

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I’m sure the contract addesses increases. Normally they can increase at will

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Mom’s AL rent increases every January. Plus they’ve been known to increase it between- after the 8.7% inflation year they tacked that same amount on as an additional increase.

• Dio
    edited April 21

But if the contract specifies the annual increase rate, can they not honor that? I got the notification letter regarding the increase effective blah blah blah, but the rate is higher than what is in my contract.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

The memory care facility where my sister was had an annual increase every January. Our contract specified that the rates would increase every year, but the amount was left open. I think the rate increase was tied to inflation. This last January the rate increased to 😱

It wouldn't surprise me if there's something in your contract, printed in smaller print that addresses increases.

• Dio

Just heard back from the MCF director. He said to disregard the letter. There's an error in billing dept. and that he'll address it when he returns from vacation. Whew!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Good news!! Glad you asked!!!

• Dio

Thanks, M1. I specifically asked about annual increases before choosing a facility. Those that left the annual increase rate blank or "according to inflation" or "whenever corporate declares the rate" were no-go. With astronomical prices in CA, funds will run out in no time with such a setup and completely out of my control. I made it a point to negotiate a rate and wrote it into the contract. This way, I'll have better planning. So when I received the letter, it threw me for a loop. A huge loop. Perhaps, billing department forgot about my special rate.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more