Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I just want to say Hi and hope this is a place for me to find some support

I am 54 and have not been diagnosed. I got Covid 2.5 years ago and have not been the same since. I have been pretty much unfunctional especially in my mind. Cognitive abilities, memory, attachment, executive functioning, personal functions, moods, distortion,etc. The medical community has been less than helpful since there has not been physical markers for them to confirm yet I am unable to function as a thinking human being any longer. Its scary and I am not sure if this is the place to be but I am looking for any support and help right now on how to mangage, accept and get through this.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome lbarrera. Yes, you can find support here. Have you been reading about long Covid? Post-viral malaise is a real condition. But since Covid is new, researchers are still learning about the complications and sequelae. I suggest that you rea as much as you can about long Covid.

In the meantime, your doctor should test you for know causes of memory loss, such as nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems. Check your medications for cognitive side effects. You might consider being tested for sleep apnea. Are you working? How are you managing with your daily activities? Please write back.

Iris

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 25

I second what Iris said including b-12 deficiency. There could be something 3rd party persay that's causing or contributing to your cognitive issues. Perhaps long COVID might be a contributer but with that could also be simple and reversible causes. Don't think the worst yet.

• MarDel0917
    MarDel0917 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I 100% understand. My boyfriend had covid in January 2020 then again the following year. I was DETERMINED that he had long covid based on all of the articles I read. His baseline when we met in 2019 wasn't the best but it seems to be worse after covid. I was heartbroken when they diagnosed him with Alzheimer/dementia. He did do amature boxing in his younger years and some other head trauma. So it all makes sence. Please don't give up fighting and being an advocate for yourself. Just take it one day at a time.

We are all on this together. 💜

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to our online support group, Merit. Can you tell us about yourself? We will try to help you.

Iris

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

From what I’ve read long Covid causes the symptoms you list. Read up on this // and google. contact any drs and organizations that are mentioned in these articles on long Covid. They may be able to help you find someone in your area to help you or offer .to advise a medical provider on long term Covid. Here’s an article about this and includes scientists/drs working on this and a media contact. Hang in there https://www.nationalacademies.org/news/2024/06/new-report-reviews-evidence-on-long-covid-diagnosis-risk-symptoms-and-functional-impact-for-patients

Take care of yourself.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney