Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nutrition Tips - gourmet puree! (Just kidding, but great tips)

Forum mates,

I just posted about our chewing woes in the Caregiver's forum and here is a different article. Hoping this helps someone else either now or in the future, as it turns out to be a VERY time consuming thing! I will know enough to maybe open a gourmet puree restaurant when this is all over (!). This author is such an advocate I really appreciate their expertise and approach.

https://longtermcarerd.com/pureed-foods-for-elderly/

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Thank you for posting this very informative guide. I have just read over it briefly as today was a busy day. I also looked at the one you posted on the other forum. I did notice a few difference as one includes ice cream with the puréed and the other doesn’t.

My DH eats soft foods at this point but I can see it moving to puréed, and maybe incorporating some of those sooner rather than later. I was going to ask you once for ideas when you mentioned feeding your husband puréed but you were so overwhelmed with keeping him breathing at the time that I didn’t want to bother you.

I hand feed my DH, now in late stage 6 because he gets too distracted these days and wouldn’t get much down on his own unless it was a dessert. He chews things very slowly, although he doesn’t yet pocket food. A normal meal takes a couple hours, even breakfast. While it is one of the things we can still do together (I sit next to him on the couch) it takes up a good part of the day between food prep and feeding. I am always worried about aspiration or choking. Puréeing would perhaps speed the eating a little and eliminate some of these worries.

He does still enjoy eating, so the idea of “gourmet” puréed isn’t just a funny idea. I want to make his meals flavorful and enjoyable. This would be a great topic for a Group. I have lots of questions but little time to type them out right now. Thank you again for posting this. Excellent topic!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more