Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My observations about MC

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

First of all, at least in my situation, an MC isn't like "committing" them to an "institution" where we imagine them in straight jackets banging their heads against the wall all day while Jack Nicholson is planning his escape.
An MC can be a very homely and lovely place for them to recieve the care they need in a caring environment. The residents form their own relationships with the others. Sometimes they hold each other's hands while watching TV or walking to and from other areas. I've found my DW holding hands with others when I arrive, male or female but it's not romantic. I think some relationships may become romantic espessially from those that are still fairly cognizant.
They often give and receive comfort from one another. They ask each other if they are "OK" even though some, like my DW, couldn't dicipher a response but they still ask and care. They are always human beings with a heart. They like some of the other residents but dislike others, same with staff, same as everyone. Many of the residents that are in the early and mid stages of dementia actually seem very happy and content being there and they are the first to help guide the weaker ones to the dining room, main living room, etc. This I've seen most days that I visit.
The facilities aren't perfect but they provide very decent care from mostly caring and compasionate people from what I've seen. It's a special calling for those staff persons to work in such a place and remain compassionate and empathetic and very very patient.

They sit around after meals and activities in the main living room together watching movies, music, etc. So far I've only seen one resident that is antagonistic and sarcastic towards the others but mostly stays to himself.
There are special events that happen and if it's a nice day these event's can happen outside. They can have live music, "show and tell" with different animals. My wife loves animals, especially dogs.
She does get tired of being there of course and has her favorite and least favorite staff and resident members but don't we all. She always cries asking me why I leave her or when can she go "home." That was par for the course when she lived with me at home also.
Anyway, MC's aren't all dark, gloomy and uncaring places where our loved ones are "abandoned" to the "cukoos nest". The staff treat the resident's with care and respect but I'm sure they also have their days as we are all human and some probably work in that environment that really shouldn't but that's not the majority of staff.
Just some of my own observations so far.

Comments

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I agree with what you are saying, my wife has only been in MC a couple of weeks and she has made new friends and says everyone is real nice. She knows she needs extra help and is adjusting very well. The staff are all friendly and helpful. I see her regularly. She is always happy to see me and a little sad when I leave. I don't think it is the only option and in some cases not the best option but for both of us it has been the best thing we could have done. I have some family members that don't agree but they don't understand or even know the whole situation.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more