Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Light bulb!

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Think I’m finally figuring out my anger is all about realizing each outburst, each I don’t remember, reminds me about his dementia and He/I am slowly losing him! And I cannot change it! Feeling helpless wishing for something that will never be! In a way that “ light bulb” is helping. I hope!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree that radical acceptance of the loss helps. I have to put emotional distance between myself and this shell of a person who used to be my dear partner, love of my life. I couldn't bear the pain if i let myself think about it too much. Similarly, i stopped watching the news after a tragic school shooting near us last year-i knew three of the families who lost children. Some things I just cannot think about in order to survive.

glad your insight is helping JC5.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

JC5, i’m glad your lightbulb moment helped. The anger and helplessness are part of the grieving process. We’re grieving for our loved ones while they’re still alive. It’s called ambiguous grief and it hurts. Sending hugs.

• sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I had my first experience with this last week. My heart broke (I’m a newbie to this). So thankful for this entity for helping me understand what was happening to me. So thankful you all are here. I totally understand your feelings!

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Not only is ambiguous grief devastating, it is not really recognized or understood by most of the outside world, including even some grief counselors. The wonderful people here in this forum truly get it.

I recently posted this in a another thread about recommended books: "Loving Someone who has Dementia" by Pauline Boss. Her exploration of ambiguous grief helped me understand the devastating grief I was feeling as my DH slips away into his own world of dementia. She has written another book, "Ambiguous Loss: Learning to Live with Unresolved Grief" which is out of print but is available used. I haven't read it yet.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more