Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question for this beautiful but lonely Sunday

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

What is more detrimental, the physical or emotional toll of a caregiver’s day?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

equal!

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I think they are intertwined. One exacerbates the other so both are just as important.

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry @wose . Your sadness is very apparent.

For me, the emotional toil is more difficult but I’m a youngish DIL who took early retirement and I don’t have any serious health issues of my own.

I honestly don’t know how spouses who struggle with their own ailments are able to be caregivers. Also, it’s hard to understand how those who have children at home or are working still are able to care for their LO.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Depends on the day:

A day filled with DH’s angry outbursts (emotional toll).

A day when we as caregivers are sick with the flu or whatever and still have to go out in the freezing cold on a winter day to get our own medicine and still do the cooking, and laundry, and EVERYTHING a caregiver does instead of staying in bed (physical toll).

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you. I can’t imagine caring for a PWD and children also. It’s just that every day seems the same anymore. The first thing in the morning the anger starts and then I regroup only for it to start again. I’m worried my physical health might not last as long as his, even tho he’s 10 years older and I don’t have any serious issues. My emotional turmoil is ruining my physical health and I don’t know how to crawl out of this cycle. I’m able to provide excellent care for him, but not myself💜

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The emotional and physical feed each other think. And it sucks. Kathy

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Emotional for me so far.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Emotional. That said, I can see how the emotional toll will lead to physical decline. This all sucks.

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

emotional for 6+ years but now emotional and physical. A body can only take so much turmoil without being negatively affected.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

For me it's mostly emotional but the constant stress and as the disease progressed the caregiving became both more stressful and physicall until there was very little sleep but the physical components kept increasing until I was going day and night. I was always stressed about getting a bad case of the flu, covid or something else that could make caregiving all but impossible. So both?

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 95
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I think the emotional and psychological have been the most detrimental, so far. The constant anxiety, waiting for the next crisis to unfold, not knowing what eggshell will crack next, taking only the fastest possible shower and the relief to find that nothing has happened when open the door; all of this must be taking a toll. On top of that is the overwhelming sadness and shock of being in this situation, the financial worries and the stress of being 100% in charge of my DH - and everything else in our previously shared lives. Since there are no day care options in my area unless I drive 40 minutes, I don't have the option of talking with friends or family and that is also hard - I am VERY thankful for all of you and email - the ability to connect online is saving my mental health, so far.

The physical toll mainly comes from lack of sleep at this point - there are nights when sleep doesn't happen due to agitation or just the progression of the disease. I am so grateful that I seem to be able to get some sleep every two or three nights, but long term, I'm sure that is taking its toll as well.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

One way caregiving takes a toll is by making it hard to do the physical exercise I used to do.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more