Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Long Term Health Care

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

I have been starting to look at our LTC policy and information as things progress.

One thing i have trouble understanding is the 90 Day waiting period (that’s what we have). It has been described as a ‘deductable’. I’m guessing you have to spend so much to get to the 90 day point, what i cant find is what counts and how it counts. It’s probably staring at me some where in those many pages.

Thank you

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

my DH has a LTC policy which we have used for in home care. They want to approve the provider we use. If approved, they ask the first day we had a caregiver in from that provider. I believe they verify that with the agency. I think (I’d have to go back and verify) that the 90 days includes 7 days per week even tho we only had someone in twice a week. You might be able to call and get an answer from Customer Service (worth a try).

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

DH's LTC policy has a 100-day exclusion. If we had had home care that we had to pay for (as opposed to services covered by Medicare/health insurance) each visit would have counted as a day. Each day in an approved LTC facility counted as a day. There was no specified deductible in terms of dollars spent, but his policy pays $100/day provided the services were billed for at least that amount. You will need to submit copies of invoices. The provider had to be approved and was given their own paperwork to complete. An exam by the insurance company's affiliated doctor was required to certify that LTC was needed, though since DH was already in hospice care, he was automatically accepted. Contact the insurance company's Customer Service, and they should be able to walk you through the policy and the procedure for starting benefits.

• ClarkEb
    ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

currently have an independent care giver

• ProfT
    ProfT Member Posts: 4
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

My Genworth LTC insurance continually refused to pay for any expenses related to my wife's advanced dementia. They only began paying after I filed detailed complaints with the Maryland Insurance Commission.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

$100 per day wouldn’t begin to cover in home care which runs about $38 per hour with a minimum of 4 hours per shift and often 12 hours per week.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 354
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

This policy was taken out in 2002 when care costs were much more reasonable. A few years ago when premiums increased stratospherically to the completely unaffordable, we were offered a plan where they would pay out the amount he had paid in (not adjusted for inflation) and we would pay no more premiums. Considering it was take it or leave over $24,000 on the table, I would rather have $100/day than nothing. His current AL with enhanced services monthly charge just went up $250/mo. (without notice!) for a total of $7253/month.

In my opinion, LTC insurance is nothing more than a legal Ponzi scheme.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My mom's policy paid out the entire policy in a lump sum three years after she had a stroke. They were willing to look back at all the care she had received and the whole thing seemed pretty obvious - except for the question of why it took 3 years for my brother to start the claim...

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more