Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SOS- is Zinc Oxide (20%) Cream Edible?

Driving & look in the mirror… DH looks like he just had the best meal ever. Smeared all over his mouth & chin & he’s chewing!

Pulled over & see he’s retrieved the butt cream from our “go” bag. And has a plastic SPOON with half a bite left on it.!!! I wiped out as much as possible (getting bitten) & am calling poison control.

He seems ok & it’s mostly petroleum but this can’t be good.
Anyone know what else I should do to be sure he doesn’t get sick?

😳

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Very low risk of toxicity. Call poison control.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@midge333 Thank you! Yes I did. They said the same. Also said he may get nauseous or have gi issues for a day or so.

Grossness alert: He’s throwing it up now (good & bad) — poor guy — what a yucky mess! I feel terrible 😞

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291

I am sorry. That sounds like a mess.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Good grief! Just when you think it’s safe to go back in the water…(!) After all the trouble you go to making him appetizing puréed foods he discovered his own. Some of those creams do smell pretty good. I hope he threw it all up. I’m sorry you had to deal with the mess.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

oh my goodness. You poor thing.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425

Forgive me, but your story brought back a memory from my son's youth. He was a very young toddler and we were at a local 5 and dime. He had a birthday coming up, and a plastic bat and ball set caught my eye. And my eyes were off him for a moment while I considered the purchase. Then I looked a few feet away from me, at the level reachable by such a wee one there were some toliet bowl deodorizors. He had started to chew on one - hey, they smelled good. I scooped him up and got him home to the phone (we're talking 70's here). I called the poison control center and described the situation. I think they said something about hoping he'd throw it up, but it wasn't toxic and he'd probably just have good breath for a few hours.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ButterflyWings

I hope you and you DH are feeling better today.

HB

• ButterflyWings

Thanks @harshedbuzz and everyone. I gave him some ginger ale, lots of water and some simple veggie purée for dinner and he couldn’t keep it down.

Grossness alert again:

I’m one who is not squeamish (motherhood cured me of that) but can’t help gagging when someone upchucks. So we were pitiful but laughable yesterday. Him trying to hold it in, me saying no that’s good! Spit it out! And then me dry heaving, lol. Grabbing Chux & wipes & plastic grocery bags to keep disposing of everything…

One poignant moment- I was apologizing for manhandling him & raising my voice as I tried to clean out his mouth earlier & told him I don’t ever want him to feel sick— said (gently, kind of laughing & rhetorically) “why would you eat something like that?” His unexpected response really got me. He said softly, “I can’t remember things”. OMG. I swear I felt an arrow pierce my heart. I told him me either & that we are a good team so we’ll keep taking care of each other. He stood (pretty much patiently) while I used dozens of wipes & the hospice hygiene products to get him clean. A shower would be faster but that’s been a no go for years.

The laundry is voluminous & I just posted on the “green/recycling” thread about the trash we are generating right now. Oh well.

Still gross:

Somewhere in the middle of the night he said his stomach hurt, I said I know & rubbed his face gently which he likes & fell back asleep. Then we awoke to a mediciny smell & it was coming out the other way. Chux saved the day! The entire couch pillow would have been soaked. And the pull up + extra pad was full of both solids and diarrhea. If we hadn’t already suspended procedures like colonoscopies I can say he is totally cleaned out & ready!

I just gave him puréed saltine cracker and will try a mashed banana next. Hoping the worst is over. Poor guy. The aide & I just need to keep everything on lockdown. This is the most risky part of stage 7 and while he has the renewed mobility, stamina and awareness he is a real risk to himself. It only takes a second.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425

" I told him me either & that we are a good team so we’ll keep taking care of each other. " I'm so impressed with how you lovingly handled that.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

@ButterflyWings I think you are being nominated for sainthood today. You are a wonderful, empathic, caring human whose husband is lucky to have you. Great job.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited May 1

I will second that nomination! I was hoping to read this morning that he was back to normal-ish after all the vomiting. Telling you he ate it because he can’t remember things just breaks my heart. Just goes to show that at late stages they still understand some things amid all the confusion. He is still in there and his love for you is evident, as is your love for him.

It does sound like the worst is over. There can’t be much left to barf up! I’m with you on gagging when someone else upchucks. Poop I can handle. Barf, not so much. Wish I could think of other things to settle his stomach. How about mashed puréed potatoes or rice?

There is a special place in Heaven for loving and compassionate caregivers like you, ButterflyWings. You are truly my role model.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Sainthood is an understatement for everything you've gone through!!

• ButterflyWings

You all are making me tear up. It is just what we all do — whatever is needed, whatever we can. Thank you for checking on us and lifting my spirits right now. All you can do is try to keep a sense of humor and not feel too overwhelmed. He is being such a trooper so it really helps.

I will definitely mash some potatoes now and add a little salt to see if that works. He had mashed banana earlier and lots of fluids — I discovered the powder packets a while back, that turn a glass of water into something like Pedialyte or Gatorade with extra electrolytes.

Everything so far today has stayed down and in, so I think we are good to go. Fingers crossed! My worst fear yesterday was that his regular meds weren't getting into his system and I did not want us to start dealing with his non-seroquel personality on top of the current situation.

Just now, he was dozing and then started chuckling out loud to himself, so I know he is feeling pretty good. Whew! Thank you all again for the suggestions and encouragement. This scary incident is just a reminder of how totally helpless our LOs are without us. It is a lot to have on all of our shoulders yet we do it because we care, and we just do the best we can. And I believe that at some level, very often they know this even if they can't express it any more. I am very grateful for the many small and large blessings along this journey, today.

Have a great week! BW

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney