Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clonepin? Or Seroquel?

KathyF1
KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is on Clonepin. As I understand, it’s kind of like Xanax. His main issue is his agitation about wanting to go home to his parents every day. (Parents long gone). He begs for hours every day to “go home”. The Clonepin helps to some degree but it’s not a miracle drug. Would Seroquel be a better option?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

don’t know until you try, but I would say yes. Klonopin is pretty short acting, and it’s a benzodiazepine, which can have paradoxical effects in the elderly as well as a fall risk. Worth asking for a Seroquel trial, for sure

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@KathyF1

Klonopin is a benzo. These are best used short-term (less than 2 weeks) or occasionally for situational anxiety. More than that and you risk those issues M1 mention as well as a built-up tolerance to medication which would render it less effective over time.

Seorquel (or another antitypical antipsychotic), perhaps with an SSRI, might be useful. Seroquel was a godsend for us.

HB

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

We tried xanax on my wife and it didn't help. Seroquel was very helpful.

If your DH has been on klonopin for a while, when discontinued, it may need to be tapered to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

• LisaLH
    LisaLH Member Posts: 40
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

They put my dad on Seroquel for behavior and it has worked wonders. We tried a few other things and this one worked the best and didn't make him a zombie.

• KathyF1

Thank you all for your advice! Doctor agreed to prescribe Seroquel. I’ll taper off the Klonepin. Can you all tell me what I can hope for with Seroquel? Main problem remains his desire to go “home” every day. Will Seroquel calm him down?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes it ought to. You can increase dose fairly quickly-that is every 3-4 days- usually in 12.5 mg increments (half of a 25 mg tablet). You can also increase dose frequency from once daily to twice, three, or even four times daily depending on how he responds. Hope it helps.

• KathyF1

Helps tremendously M1, thank you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia