Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SSDI

My DH gets a pension from local government retirement. He worked many years prior to that job paying into SS so he does receive some SS income but it is reduced due to Government Pension Offset. Will the GPO or his pension affect his eligibility for SSDI based on his alzheimers? Thinking about future needs, SSDI could really help when it comes time for MC. Do you have to spend down savings in order to qualify for SSDI? Is it dependent on income and assets? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I can't fix his diagnosis but I can try to prepare for future needs.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

they do a 5 yr look back on your spending. But you need to speak to someone every state different

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Call SS office and ask them. The 5 year look back on spending mentioned above relates to Medicaid, not SS.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited May 2

I’m not sure about SSDI and the offset rules but there is no family income requirement for SSDI. There is also no spend down requirement or look back. Those requirements are for Medicaid. SSI is different and is income based. They are easily confused. Also if your DH does qualify for SSDI apply now, with a dementia diagnosis applications are fast tracked and he would get benefits sooner. Hopefully someone who knows about the offset rules can help you out but I wanted to clarify about the income requirements.

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

When I applied for SSDI, the amount you get is based on how much you earned from working. You have to get your doctor to write a letter stating that you are disabled and proof of employment. You have to provide what kind of disability you have. For me, I had a mental disability that prevented me to keep on working. Also, I am legally blind, which has not affected employment, but is a valid disability that added more to my SSDI benefits. Once you qualify for SSDI, you will be eligible for Medicare. Many applicants seek a lawyer to help file for the disability and is more successful than applying by yourself. Fortunately, and luckily, I applied myself and was approved the first try. I wish you luck.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited May 2

If he is currently receiving SS, he probably is not eligible to collect SSDI. The rules do not allow collection of both on one earning record at the same time. SSDI automatically turns into SS at full retirement age.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I filed for ssdi when I was 55. There is absolutely no spend down for that. I was receiving a small state pension at the time. Contact your local social security office and make an appt as soon as you can.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more