Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

going to bathroom

I'm new here, taking care of my 75 yo wife who has dementia. Lately, last few weeks, she has been sitting on the toilet for hours on end (8-10-12 hours a day) feeling like she has to go after already having done her business. Doc says it's the dementia that makes her feel that there's more to come. Don't know how to get her to get off the toilet. While on the toilet, she is drinking multiple bottles of Ensure, Gatorade Ade, etc but not eating or taking meds.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Dublin, welcome to the forum. What a dilemma-no direct personal experience, but I'm a retired doc. So- to start with a graphic question, are you saying she feels like she has to have a bowel movement, or empty her bladder? The distinction may matter. If it's urinary, she may need to be checked for infection, and an antispasmodic medication might help. My partner actually has a similar problem with frequent urinary urges related to severe lifelong scoliosis.

If it's fecal, hemorrhoids come to mind-and sitting for long periods on the toilet is actually bad for hemorrhoids. She may need a careful rectal exam to be sure she isn't impacted. Im not normally an advocate for invasive exams in people with dementia, but she may actually need a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to be sure there's not a tumor or polyp causing the sensation. Maybe this has already been done?

• Dublin Ohio caregiver
    Dublin Ohio caregiver Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Thank you. She has been checked for urinary tract infection and for hemorrhoids. She has no problem with urinating or bowel movements. It's just after those are finished, she still thinks she has more to go, sits on the toilet, and nothing more happens. Her brain is telling her something that is not in sync with her bodily needs. Her PCP also tells her that this is from dementia. My issue is trying to convince her to get off the toilet and trust the Depends to their job. That's trying to reasons with a dementia mind.

Antispasmodic medication might help,since she does have scoliosis. I'll mention that to her PCP.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more