Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New and scared 4-4-2024

hello and thank you for this opportunity. I had a neuropsychological testing this past Monday. i was then diagnosed yesterday (Friday) with young onset dementia. 2 1/2 to 3 years ago i started to notice cognitive delays with myself. I am a special ed teacher so i recognized some things. several parents referring his/her child had reports from a clinic in Co Springs. The reports were impressive. I looked on their website and saw they tested children and adults on a variety of conditions. Dementia being one of them. As I have a strong history of dementia on both sides of my family, I thought it couldn’t hurt.
Even though I was not surprised, I am scared for the future. This has effected my job and opportunities for advancement in positions. I am grateful that my job is very empathetic and accommodating.
How have you coped with this diagnosis?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to our online support group Kimberly. Yes, it is devastating to receive a diagnosis of any of the dementias. That's why is is so important to rule out medical causes of dementia mimics. I hope you have had a thorough medical evaluation and corrected anything correctable.

If in fact you do have young onset Alzheimer's Disease, there are strategies you can take to make your journey easier. These strategies are not a cure, but a help. While you are still working you can request work accommodations. Review askjan.org. But keep in mind that an early retirement will be in your near future. You will want to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits if you are eligible. Does your employer offer long term disability benefits? Consult an employee benefits professional before making changes or you might lose benefits. Keep posting and asking questions.

Iris

• energizerbunny
    energizerbunny Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment

Learn about the dementia that you do have and how it presents itself so that you can find strategies to help you get through the days and the changes that come on later at this point there's no cure but you can make your life better and still enjoy It . Don't hide from people because if you can interact with people it'll help you keeping you able to be understood by the people around you.

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

check out the book Still Me by Rebecca Chopp. It’s all about living with Alzheimer’s, slowing progression and coping with fears for the future.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more