Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just wondering

wose
wose Member Posts: 137
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH will not let me manage his medicine. I filled up the 7 day pill box and he threw a fit. So that’s done for now. About 1 month ago, after our Neuro visit the Dr. increased the Aricept to 10mg and put him on Zoloft. He was supposed to increase aricept 1st then wait 1 week and take 1/2 of the 25 mg Zoloft. I halfed the Zoloft but if course he screwed it up. So now, he’s taking 10 mg of aricept anx 12.5 mg of zoloft, but is complaining of being very tired. I have checked his BP and it’s good. I have noticed that he is now calmer, less angry but also he now naps when he didn’t before. He eats more but he’s also even more apathetic but no more punching the doors. Should we continue on as the half Zoloft has only been 3 days( he started off with a whole one for about 5 days before he told me how bad he felt) or just stop it? How to know if the Zoloft or aricept is really helpful anyway. As far as memory and goofy behavior that seems a little worse.💜

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Keep the zoloft for sure. You need the calm and this is still a very small dose-maximum daily dose is 200 mg.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I'm sorry.

Given that he just started Zoloft and at so small a dose, I'd be inclined to drop the Aricept back to the previous dose and keep the Zoloft. But since you're only 3 days into Zoloft, quitting wouldn't be an issue.

Zoloft takes some time to see the benefit you'll see from it; it could be 6 weeks to really know what benefit it has for him.

One trick that others have used for medication management is the use of daily dose pill packaging. Many big chain and independent pharmacies now offer this at little or no cost— all medications come in date/time stamped blister packs. Have your own meds packaged this way and tell him it's how it's done now.

HB

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You might get a second pill box. You can put your meds in it or something that looks like a pill. Sit down and fill the boxes together…. you can adjust his later.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more