Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Why didn't you tell me?...

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

We get a daily newspaper. We listen to NPR's morning and evening news programs. The Israel-Gaza war has been one of the main topics for 7 months. At lunch, I mentioned the war, and DW said she didn't know anything about it. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Oh, gee, there's lots I could say. "I assumed because the news media have been saturated with the story for months that you would know about it." "You're asking me to tell you about every important news story every day?" "I could tell you, but you'd forget it immediately." I don't think she remembers the JFK assassination. I'm not sure about the Viet Nam War. I know she doesn't remember 9/11 or Jan. 6. When I mention that Donald Trump is running for re-election for president, she asks "When was he president?"

I think that even if I said, "I'm sorry, I'll try to do better," she would still persist with her questions.

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So sad. My DH has always followed presidential campaigns and politics closely, but recently he had to ask me who the current VP is. If we ever needed confirmation that our PWDs are in a world of their own, this is it.

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My problem is somewhat the reverse. My DH sees the news and begins thinking that between the wars in Ukraine and Israel, we are going to have supply chain issues as occurred during COVID. He panics and wants to hoard supplies. Then there is the need to protect as many of our possessions as possible because there could be tornados 5 states over. Sometimes I think it will be a blessing for both of us when he can no longer follow the news.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH could recite a cast of characters in the French and Indian War and every General in Gettysburg but can’t keep track of everyday events either. It was quite heartbreaking yesterday when he came up from the garage with two chocolate Easter eggs and wanted to know if he missed our Anniversary. He apparently remembered Easter but hid them. He was unable to associate chocolate eggs with Easter. Our anniversary is in Sep. but my birthday is soon, so maybe that’s it. Makes me chuckle first and then cry💜

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

my DH will do both. He will turn on some YouTube news video from months ago and I will tell him it’s old news. He then asks why he didn’t know about it. He did. But then he can be watching something and decide we need to do something to protect our assets because we are all going to be nuked or an asteroid is headed our way.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

All I can say is, yep! Happens here too. So tiring.

Kathy

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When my dh was tested for social security disability one of the questions was about current events. We'd been discussing current events on the way over, so I knew he'd ace that one, but he did not have a single clue. It was a wakeup call for me.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DW had a routine checkup with her PCP last week. I had sent the doctor an extensive description of DW's current condition in advance. (DW already has a diagnosis of "Alzheimer's", which may or may not be accurate, and which DW gets angry about when she sees that in her medical record.) The doctor casually asked simple questions without making it a "test". "Do you know what year it is?" Answer: "2023, maybe 2024." "Do you know what month it is?" Answer: "April". (It's May.) I think the answers confirmed what I had told the doctor privately.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more