Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anosognosia - Does it ever go away?

LindaLouise
LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

So - my DH was diagnosed a year and half ago with moderate dementia - based on a MoCa score of 13/30. He has always had anosognosia and never thought there was anything wrong or amiss. Suddenly this weekend, he has been in tears twice saying that he wants to be part of the family and that he wants to be like everyone else and he can't do what everyone else is doing. For the record, he attends every family event with me and often retreats upstairs when the grandkids visit. So - is anosognosia going away and he now realizes what is going on? Anyone else experience this change. It is really heartbreaking to hear…

Comments

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

LindaLouise you mentioned that DH retreats upstairs when the grandkids visit. It is possible these visits and family events are becoming more than he can handle. Too much activity, noise and multiple people conversing often are more than one with ALZ can process. I noticed this with my DH. He cannot multitask and in group settings that skill is required. He can only handle one conversation at a time, slow, without interruption and easy.

Best wishes

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

my husband also has anosognosia. He does have moments where he tells me he doesn't know who he is. He will get concerned but it does pass. I usually give him a hug.

My DH loves our grandson to visit although he interacts very little with him, when he is there. He does like to watch cartoons with him. I think just being near him brings him happiness. Sometimes he just wants to be invited to sit with us on couch. Maybe you could try inviting him “in” when he retreats.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

That's an excellent idea. The retreating may happen because he can't remember how to engage - I like the idea of reaching out and see if that can help. Thank you!

• Lkrielow99
    Lkrielow99 Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

my DH has had a few moments lately that lead me to believe he is aware, at least for a moment. I’ve noticed it’s when our day is calm, or I think it’s calm. It’s just a fleeting moment. Something he says makes me believe he deep down knows something is wrong. He came to me with an old bottle of Prevagen and ask if I thought it would help him. He has once or twice mentioned his confusion. He gets emails about memory and will ask me about whatever snake oil they are selling. As I said they are fleeting moments and then back to his same delusions that he has clients and is working. He gets scammed and our cards get compromised, he yells that he needs those cards for his clients. I just go with it, unless it will harm him or our finances. Hugs to you, this is a terrible disease.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

my DH will often tell me he feels stupid, his brain isn’t working or he’s very confused. He will sometimes say he thinks he has what his mother had (Alzheimer’s). But other times he will ask me if I think he has Alzheimer’s or he will say he’s glad he doesn’t have it. He will also ask me if he’s getting worse. Then other times he’s completely oblivious.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My DW also sometimes she says her brain isn't working right and asks what's the matter with her. But she would never accept my telling her that she is sick and has dementia.

• 3164too
    3164too Member Posts: 1
    Third Anniversary First Comment

My DH was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2019, he still thinks there is nothing wrong with him and that he can do everything he has always done. he Can not drive, cook or do any of the things he used to do.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My dh thinks the same way. Can't get him to stop driving. Do have 360 on his phone which has helped alot. I can see where he is at all times.

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((( @LindaLouise ))) I'm so, so sorry. That is heartbreaking. My DH56 (FTD) has anosognosia and it's real challenge. I was listening to some lectures last night to try and find understanding and help for dealing with this and in one that I listened to, the speaker said some patients may go in and out of that state depending on how the disease is affecting that part of the brain. It immediately resonated with me and some of the experiences I've had with DH where I feel like I get a flicker of "him" for just a short while. It doesn't happen very often, but it sure is confusing.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited May 10

I feel that losing anosognosia has two sides.

• On one hand, it's very sad to see a PWD cry with a self-realization of a decline.
    • On the other hand, it's a relief to see a PWD voluntarily relinquish some tasks to a caregiver, and avoids disagreements on that.

Perhaps a cognitive decline has become severe enough for a PWD to have self-realization. I think quiet acceptance is a reasonable situation (i.e. since we don't see sadness - not much crying), although it may indicate further decline.

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

I'll never forget when my LO with VD told me "I can't think the way you do". It was heartbreaking, but also showed that she still had (at times) insight. It was better for her when she didn't "know".

• Chloe mom
    Chloe mom Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hi

So comments in this thread are hitting home right now. But I need clarification. At what stage or point do you feel your SO is when you start noticing cognitive issues such as it is hard for them to talk to others, avoiding large groups, saying his brain isn’t working, not able to form sentences, brain fog and can’t remember conversations. Thankfully my DH doesn’t have anosognosia, we know well what the main problem is. But sometimes his brain is on for a number of days and other days he complains about it. I noticed a major decline after a heart attack in Aug of 2022. I guess I am wondering if we are going from stage 4 to stage 5 slowly and this is our new normal.

Thanks

• michflo34
    michflo34 Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Bonjour Linda Louise ! je vis un peu cela! quand mon aidant veux trop m'aider cela devient une surchrge pour moi, et aussi quand j'ai fait trop de choses dans la journée, je ne souviens plus de rien, je me retire dans ma chambre ou jed vais à l'église pour pleurer ! j'ai 77 ans, et j'ai peur pour la suite ! amicalement : Michel34

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@Chloe mom - I think it's different for everyone. For my sister, I'd say it was right around the beginning of stage 5. There were other things that led to her diagnosis, and I think we got that at around earlier stage 4. It's so hard to pinpoint sometimes …

@LindaLouise - I'm so sorry the two of you are going through this. I know how this feels. My sister Peggy would often tell me that she just "wanted to be a person again." I thought she meant that someone was making her feel bad about herself, but then I realized it was that she wanted to be her old self again - have lunch with her friends, go to Disneyland, etc. It was so very painful to hear.

Anosognosia is strange. Peggy knew she had Alzheimer's in the beginning, but once she hit around stage 6, the anosognosia kicked in. She still knew something was wrong - she would occasionally tell me "sometimes I can't do anything", but she didn't realize it was Alzheimer's.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My dh in stage 4 knew there was a problem, and when he was diagnosed he knew the diagnosis. As he headed to stage 5 he did not know the diagnosis, and his deficits were less noticeable to him. He could still read, and there was a billboard that said, "It's time to talk about Alzheimer's." Every time we passed that one he'd say, "boy, I wouldn't want to end up like that."

Later, firmly in stage 5, he overheard a caregiver saying he had Alzheimer's and was very upset by that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more