Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Driving

SForsythe
SForsythe Member Posts: 3
First Comment First Anniversary

My husband is blaming me for taking away his drivers license even though I remind him it was his Neurologist that did it. He thinks I am being cruel and can't understand why I would do this to him.

Comments

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh my gosh….i so feel your pain! I’ve been there. And some days the issue resurfaces. He has no recollection of doctors telling him he can’t drive and of course he insists there is nothing wrong with his driving. What helped me was a med change as he was getting very angry and threatening about the issue, and then finally a letter from the registry stating his license was suspended for medical reason. Now the occasional topic is more centered around what he can do to get his license back. I deflect or empathize and say my prayers that the issue doesn’t get too difficult to manage as before. I believe some people on this forum have had to take some drastic measures to keep the LO from driving. Is he getting angry and threatening? Be sure to reach out for assistance from his doctor. Keep yourself safe if things escalate.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more