Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Middle of the night vent

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 804
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

4:30 and I've showered him, stripped the bed, mopped the floor, and started a load of laundry. I was so angry. And so so sad. I can handle almost anything. But stepping in pee because he decided to walk all over every part of the bathroom is hard to take. And when I sat down to cry, he came and held me. He breaks my heart every day. Sorry for the rant.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeanne, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Jeanne, how achingly heartbreaking and touching at the same time. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this and I’m sorry he’s having to go through it too. sending hugs.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Jeanne, What an awful night you had. Hope you can get some sleep and that you have a better day tomorrow.

• MelissaNH
    MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, ((( @Jeanne C. ))). Emotionally and physically exhausting. It's all too much for one to bear.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Sending virtual hugs. We're all here with you…ready to hear your rants anytime!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is always harder during the night…..

Please get some washable pads to put over ther top sheet. That way you can just remove them. Also please remeber that liquid on a tile floor is really slippery!

Do you have a 6 sided mattress cover????

• mrspgee
    mrspgee Member Posts: 8
    Third Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment

This is the most heart breaking time in most of our lives. We are all dealing with a very cruel disease. I believe that only love will get us through. I don't know if they make something to cover the bathroom floor that is non-slippery and washable. It's rough but you'll be amazed at the things they make that would make life just a tad easier. You're in my thoughts, please take time to go outside your home even if you just sit outside, observe nature or read something that interests you. All the best to you.

• Cheryl11
    Cheryl11 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

I'm so sorry. Many hugs. We're here for you.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 804
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks everyone. The support and help I get from you is what gets me through. You all are the best. I did manage to catch a short nap after the hospice nurse visit this afternoon (his aide was here, thank goodness).

@jfkoc I have the bed protected, but can't get him to lay directly on the washable pad 🤦‍♀️. I've settled for putting the washable pad between the fitted sheet and the mattress protector. The sheets end up wet, but at least the mattress doesn't get wet. Stupid question about the 6-sided protector: is it something I'd have to lift the mattress to put on and change (it's a really heavy king-sized - not sure I could lift it alone)? I just have regular waterproof protectors that go on like a fitted sheet.

• Hope5757
    Hope5757 Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 10

@Jeanne C. -

I just put a 6 sided mattress on. You do have to maneuver it under the mattress so some help might be advisable. We put the closed end over the headboard side, then sorta wiggled the cover down to the footboard side.

Our own exhaustion makes everything that much harder. I’m so sorry.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Jeanne C,

I have been where you are, and reading your post brought me back to those almost unendurable nights and mornings. I am so sorry that you and he are going through this. My husband died in October, and i'm still mending from the exhaustion and injury of stage 7.

I am keeping you in my daily intentions.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

We completely understand. Been there night after night. When dbl incontinence comes and you have to try and get them in the shower at 2AM and have to do it all over again at 5. Always have clean sheets going in the washer, and another set on stand by. Yes we understand. Hang in there! You can vent all you need to here.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

((( @Jeanne C. ))) I hope the rest of your week goes much better. We just have to cry sometimes. How sweet that he wanted to comfort you.

Can hospice bring you lots of disposable chux? They don’t replace the washable ones, but the extra layer with plastic backing absorbs lots of pee and spills here.

I keep 2 or 3 of these disposable chux, positioned side by side on the bed and where he sits (and sleeps) on the reclining side of the sofa, to increase the chance that most of it will be underneath DH where he sits or lies down. It really helps here as the top protective layer no matter what else I’m using. I also use it as a lap cover or giant bib when feeding him.

Your hospice supplies should offer this if you haven’t already ruled that out. Worth a try.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care