Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parkinson’s dementia

scribe
scribe Member Posts: 1
Eighth Anniversary

my husband has Parkinson’s and he is having hallucinations. He believes there are people in the house and that I am conspiring with them. I have been called filthy names and he has threatened to hit, kick or kill me. How do I deal with this? I am getting little sleep and my patience is wearing thin. Thankfully he is unable to walk so i don’t worry about his leaving the house. Any advice at all will be appreciated.

Comments

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Oh dear. That must be so hard. First, you are safe because of his disability which is a relief. He cannot hurt you physically. The mental assaults are tough. It is his disease talking. This is the hardest part I find. I get hurt when my DH is mean to me, but then I tell. Ys3lf it is not my sweet man talking.It is the disease.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry for your troubles. Maybe he needs a medication adjustment?

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would definitely talk to his docs about medication management. These hallucinations are not pleasant for him either, even if he cannot physically harm you.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

"Parkinson’s dementia is different than LBD, mainly in which symptoms occur first (dementia symptoms or motor symptoms). Patients with Parkinson’s Dementia will first show Parkinson’s motor symptoms, followed by dementia many years after diagnosis. Conversely, LBD patients will first show dementia symptoms and may show motor symptoms later."

My husband, MCI>Parkinson's>Lewey Body Dementia.

Hope fully your neurologist is well versed because the meds are not easy to regulate….especially the Parkinson's ones.

-Judith

• CatladyNW
    CatladyNW Member Posts: 24
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary

• CatladyNW
    CatladyNW Member Posts: 24
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary

my DH also has Parkinson’s delusions. We found out that some of the medications he takes for the Parkinson’s can actually make delusions worse. We had to change hos neurologist because he had been overmedicated and it made his delusions worse. I’m sorry you are dealing with this, it is terribly hard.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more