Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Velveteen Rabbit

ImMaggieMae
ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

45 years ago today, the priest added this reading to our wedding ceremony from a children’s book, “The Velveteen Rabbit” by Margery Williams. My sister read it at the ceremony. I happened to come across it on the internet and was thinking how much of a deeper meaning it has now.

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Weeks passed, and the little Rabbit grew very old and shabby, but the Boy loved him just as much. He loved him so hard that he loved all his whiskers off, and the pink lining to his ears turned grey, and his brown spots faded. He even began to lose his shape, and he scarcely looked like a rabbit any more, except to the Boy. To him he was always beautiful, and that was all that the little Rabbit cared about. He didn’t mind how he looked to other people, because the nursery magic had made him Real, and when you are Real shabbiness doesn’t matter.”

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Love this….just posted part of it on another thread

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I knew I had recently read part of this Judith. Thanks for the beautiful post Maggie. Made me cry; as does almost anything lately xo

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Indeed…shabbiness doesn't matter when you're Real (loved). Thank you for posting this.

Tom

• Ragfoot
    Ragfoot Member Posts: 18
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I also thank you for sharing the story.

45 years ago, I can see where I might have thought it was just a nice story. But, you are correct… in today's context it makes so much more sense.

I also shed a tear.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank You for sharing

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Brought tears to my eyes, too. I knew this passage/quotation but hadn't thought about it in a long while. It bears repeating.

• sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I recently downloaded the storybook of this on my Kindle. I love this story and I agree it sure takes on more meaning right now. Thank you for sharing!

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

One of my all time favorite stories. And a perfect analogy!

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Beautiful. My granddaughter is now enjoying these books. After reading your post I'm going to slow down and contemplate the pages. Thank you.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

MaggieMae,

i want to acknowledge your anniversary. You have been a loving and caring wife, and your faith and tenacity are evident throughout your posts.

All the best to you,

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living