Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to the group

I have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s for about 3 years ago. I have been in a clinical trial at USSD for two years. I have an amazing husband. He has been to every appointment. He’s also a pharma person. He gives so much love and support. I am 65 years old. I worked for NASA as a programmer. But Alzheimer’s has changed my life. And, most unfortunately, my husband’s need to take care of me.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Lori. It's great that your husband is supportive. One advice I learned from our emeritus member Mimi S, is to focus on what I can still do, not on what I can't do. Have you thought about what you still can do? Please continue to post and keep us updated.

Iris

• lori.wheet
    lori.wheet Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Mostly, I am doing pretty well. I am xeriscaping my yard and seeing a few friends. My sister and her son from will be visiting soon. That will be wonderful. It seems as though our medical bills are a little crazy. That is a large onus on my husband as we are nearing retirement.

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

yes, the financial stress is difficult. Enjoy your time - socializing is a huge asset in slowing progression, boosting cognition and preventing dementia, you are so fortunate to have a loving supportive husband.

• lori.wheet
    First Comment

My husband is the most organized and caring man. He is in the pharma business. It helps me so much because he’s able to be a great advocate. He is a rock.

• lori.wheet
    First Comment

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care