Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I just paid the deposit . . .

. . . on a MC apartment. Starting this process has cheered me up, even as it also fills me with dread, of the transition, the understanding that it will not be a thorough solution, of being lonely. But for now, I am hanging on to the optimism.

Tyrone

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Tyrone, you're going through what many of us went through. Placement isn't the end all, though, but it'll give you some reprieve and sense of calm back. When your feelings start to overwhelm you with guilt/remorse, try to remember why she needs to be placed. I never had doubts it was the right move for both of us.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

me neither, I wasn’t thrilled about it but it had to happen. Hang in there

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When I first placed my spouse I would feel guilty and think I should bring him home. Then I'd have to walk myself through the whole process again: that if he came home it wouldn't be like it used to be, that if he were still able to do what we used to do we wouldn't be in this situation, all the reasons that having him home wasn't working and led to placement. Then I'd have a moment of realizing that, yes, placement was the right decision.

Then later the same day or the next day I'd start the whole cycle over again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more