Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nervous about SS interview... tired of waiting...

MelissaNH
MelissaNH Member Posts: 62
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Good Morning! I'm a nervous wreck today. I have a phone interview with SSDI in two hours and I have no idea what to expect because I visited their office in person (waited an hour) and called their 1-800 # (waited an hour and fifteen minutes) to find out how the process works and to get clarification on how to fill out certain fields in the application (it's so generic) and no one would answer my questions after either wait time. I had to wait 10 days for this appointment. I have gathered everything they could possibly need to get going on this, but it's been refusal of information and more waiting at every turn. I wish the person who had made this appointment would have been more helpful. All I know is that she called it a "medical interview". I am so unimpressed with the way things are run. If all we do is complete the application today, I am going to be so mad. I just had a few questions and could have done it myself two weeks ago. Just needed to vent and reach out for some encouragement. Has anyone else experienced this recently with dealing with social security? It sounds like a lot has changed in the last several years.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope it's productive Melissa. One more step. Let us know how it goes. Im sure you'll do fine. You've got this. And now it's only a few days until your legal appointment. You're making progress....

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Melissa, I too hope that your interview is productive and moves the process forward. I worked for the federal government all of my adult life, first in the military and then as a civil service employee. I know the frustration of trying to navigate the bureaucracy, both from the inside and as one who has sought information and services. Hang in there. It takes a great deal of patience, but it usually works out over time. In some cases it may be wise to seek assistance from your state representative's office or from a lawyer. Sometimes they can help in getting answers or cutting through the red tape. Please know that you have a community here that cares and understands.. Keep us posted. I wish you well.

Tom

• beachbum
    beachbum Member Posts: 14
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I have first consultation with attorney next Tuesday then will tackle SSDI. I think I have convinced DH to quit work, just have to settle on a date. A while back we had taken in a teen whose dad had died unexpectedly, I had to go through SS phone interview with him to get his dad’s benefits for him. It was ok and not much red tape. Of course that was survivor benefits, but hopefully this will be straight forward and he can start getting his disability. Praying this goes smooth and takes a little stress off.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

it’s such a painfully slow process, it well worth it. Hope it went well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more