Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH’s Geri psych retiring. Thoughts?

LaneyG
LaneyG Member Posts: 164
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

in a way, I’m glad Geri psych is retiring in a way. DH really likes him. He first got involved when DH had sort of a breakdown when his symptom started to surface and he became extremely depressed about 7 yrs ago. As his dementia advanced we stuck with him but I never had a lot of confidence in him and his ability to treat dementia. Now I need to find someone’s else which has been somewhat challenging. I was really hoping for someone nearby for ease of access and convenience. There are some nearby associated with a health system having financial trouble on and they don’t have a great rep. My questions are this. How important is distance as the disease continues to progress? I fear having to drive into the city with someone with dementia that doesn’t want to go. City driving always stressed me out regardless. As stages progress how often is there a need to “see” Geri psych? I’m having a similar issue with his neurologist. Never cared for her. When I switch I will probably switch neurologist too. Thoughts? and thanks….

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more