Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How important is definitive diagnosis?

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

My DH had the usual tests when we first started noticing the memory issues - EEG, blood tests, MRI - nothing unusual showed up. He refused to go to the neuropsych testing when he realized what it would entail. Fast forward about a year and some doctor issues (had to get a new PCP, etc). I was able to get him scheduled for the interview and he got a 2 out of 30 on the MMSE. The psychologist didn't think it was worth doing the remaining testing and the report said possible major neurocognitive disorder due to Alzheimer's Disease. This precipitated the loss of his license after which he again refused to get any more testing. This was 2.5 years ago. Now I don't know whether there is any benefit in confirming Alzheimer's with something more definitive. Any experiences to share?

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I may be just different than my experience, but I thought DH was doing terrible when he got a 17! I really question how he could function at all if he got a 2, especially if that was 2 1/2 years ago. I also think that some sort of atrophy should have shown on his MRI if he was that far progressed already. I definitely am not a doctor and probably don't know what I'm talking about…..just my 2 cents. Did they put him on any medication? Can you convince him to go in for another MRI or other cognitive testing since it has been a while?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The testing is to find a treatable medical condition. Evidently, none was found. What are you expecting from more testing? From now on, other than for medical emergencies, such as UTI or aggression, good care is the treatment.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I would also say there is little to be gained from additional testing. There are no effective treatments that he would be eligible for, and if you are not having behavioral issues that warrant other medications, and no insurance/benefit issues that require a definitive diagnosis, i don't see the point. It's not going to change anything. If there were concerns about FTD or Lewy Body dementia and behavioral issues, there might be a point (because different meds would be recommended). Otherwise not.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I know what you mean that with a score that low he should have been a very late stage. Actually, at that time, I felt he was much higher functioning than that score showed. But he had a hard time very early on with knowing our address, zip code, the date, the season, etc, and I think also he was very nervous. It wasn't until the last year or so that he his memory loss and lack of language skills has really progressed.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

We needed a definitive diagnosis to activate LTC insurance.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more