Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seroquel Dose

jsps139_
jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH has been taking Seroquel for about 2 1/2 months now. I give him 25mg at 5:00pm every day. He falls asleep about 6:30pm or 7:00pm in his chair, and I wake him at 10pm to go to bed. He sleeps all night. It’s been wonderful for diminishing hallucinations and delusions and the anxiety that goes with those.

BUT, most mornings he wakes up around 8am and is very anxious and agitated … where’s my SS check? I have no money!! How did my furniture get here?
Is it time for Seroquel twice a day?? Morning and evening? I’m worried that he will just sleep all day and quit walking or wanting to go on errands. However, I hate seeing him so angry and anxious! Would sleeping be better??? I just don’t know what to do!!

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291

My DW has been on seroquel since February. She was on 25 mg in the morning and 50 mg before supper. It was working great and then she started to have agitation in the morning. We increased the morning dose to 50 mg and things have been going well. Her total sleeping in a 24 hour period is about the same as before the seroquel was started. Delusions and agitation cannot be fun for the PWD. Personally, I would favor more sleeping versus delusions and agitation but that is clearly just my opinion. Others may feel differently.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Check with his docs of course, but you could easily try giving him 12.5 mg in the morning and see how he responds to it—it may not put him back to sleep. There is a wide dose range on this. You could also try giving his evening dose a bit later if you wanted, if he's falling asleep earlier than you want him to.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH was on 25 mg for agitation and delusions during sundowning. It was then upped to 50 mg at my request as I felt it was becoming less effective. He is now on an XR (extended release) and it is working well. I give him it mid /late afternoon and is still effective in the am. Thus maybe an option to try.

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

My DH was having sleep fragmentation and was started on 25mg morning and night. It does not make him sleepy, but cuts down on the pacing and constant need to "just check on something".

honestly I was hoping it would make him sleepy because he does better with more rest, but resting seems very hard for him.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171

Thanks so much for the feedback. I messaged his PCP today asking if he would prescribe a lower dose for the mornings. Hopefully he will agree to it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more