Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sleeping late

Katcat
Katcat Member Posts: 52
25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes

Hubby used to get up 9-930 and used to go to the gym. He hasn’t been to gym for one year. Now he sleeps until 11:30-12. I do not bother him. A few times I’d ask him if he wants to go to gym but he doesn’t want to get out of bed. Some days he asks if he still goes to gym and I explain I’ve tried getting him up. He tells me I should keep trying. What do you think about this. Should I let him sleep or try to get him up earlier even if he doesn’t go back to the gym. The only good thing is I have peace to myself while he’s sleeping late but if I should be getting him up please tell me your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 20

Now might be a good time to introduce a companion to walk with him around the block and to do appropriate exercises in the home even chair exercises. Stretching and balance exercises are good. He needs to be mobile and ambulatory for as long as possible. Read a few articles on fall prevention for older adults, they talk about exercises. As your PCP if home PT can be ordered. Ask for a balance evaluation. Medicare can pay for this.

Iris

• Katcat

thanks. Yes we had OT but insurance was 6 weeks and we can’t restart this for waiting period of 8 weeks. It’s so ridiculous but next month we will qualify again.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Iris is right that if you can keep him mobile, it will certainly help. But what you're seeing is probably a combination of things you can't reverse: a lot of PWD sleep more as they progress, and he obviously doesn't have the executive function to either get himself to the gym or to know what to do with himself when he got there. It might work if you went with him—but then that eats up your day, too. I personally would let him sleep in so that you have your time, and just keep an eye on keeping him as active as you can when he is up. If you could get him to accept a home companion (even it's in the afternoons), well and good.

• Katcat

thank you. I would be fine going to gym with him as I used to go when things were better. You’re right about him not knowing what to do once at the gym. He gets confused easily. Once our lake opens up I think it will be easier to get him outside. I’ll try my best keeping him mobile. Thank you again

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more