Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Big Ol' pile of .....

MarDel0917
MarDel0917 Member Posts: 28
10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

YUP, you guessed it poop!!!! This week's new thing started. As of Monday morning my bf (44yo eosa) has been having an issue with just his first of the morning bathroom duties. Today is my day off and I was so excited to get to sleep in ... haha at 6am I woke to him in the bathroom. (In my head ... SWEET HE DID IT!!) Then I hear his #2 and was like ooohhhh yeahhh he made it in the toilet. (sign of releif)? Then I hear him making noises I get up and he is standing with his pants at his ankles, with a WTF look on his face. I look at the toilet and see the lid is down and a little smudge of poo in the lid. (We still doing good … I think). Till I get closer and I look down and between the toilet and the sink perfectly missing the clorox wipes and toilet paper stand IS a PILE!!! LIKE A COW PATTY!!!! I immediately start gagging cause home girl has a weak stomach. I tell him to get into the shower. I run to my bathroom and put Vicks vaporub (cause it works at my job in pharmacy for thr stinky folks) under my nose to block the smell (which is working a little but the smell has penetrated my nostrils and I can smell it). Soooo now we are lating in bed while I think of a game plan to clean the pile. I think we may be getting new towels and bathroom mats today!!! Oh and taking a nap!!!!

We are all in this together 💜

Comments

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I can so relate!

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

you poor thing. On a good note, you tell a good story and are great at descriptions. I’m with you, I would gag and purchase new stuff.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

this is why everything in my bathroom is white. I should have stock in Clorox.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

The same thing has happened to me. The only suggestion I have is to make sure the lid is always open.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 23

DH has not been to the bathroom alone in years. Supervision is required at some point for our PWD LOs and your poop pile is the sure sign that time has arrived.

My sign was not my beloved missing the toilet but it still was a catastrophe and involved me joining the blue glove club and handling poop. To the contrary, he started putting EVERYTHING there and trying to flush it — poop, pee, wipes (SO many), paper towels (half the roll), toilet paper (the whole roll) I guess because he still saw a mess…plus whatever he was eating at the time like banana peels were part of the backed up plumbing nightmare. Yuck!

I had to manually fish out most of the unflushable stuff and still had a time unclogging the toilet. Overflow was involved and we still have tile trouble and an unstable, shimmed, toilet from him rocking to balance himself on 1 cheek/leg while trying to wipe (I don't know how long that was going on). This caused the seal beneath the toilet to loosen and there was a slow leak for a while, evident on the ceiling below. Imagine when a nasty overflow happened that wasn't even clean water flooding the floor, seeping into and under any loose grout and into the floor joists (and basement ceiling) below.

We have repaired and replaced kitchen and bathroom tiles once as a result of waterworks (no toileting involve in the kitchen - it was the wrong soap in the dishwasher so "Bubbles, Bubbles, Toil and Troubles" throwback post, and leaving the faucet on with sink plugged up. I work from home now, as even aides didn't watch him as required and those kinds of repairs are too expensive to mention. And the bathroom still needs help.

We are on a waiting list for VA to assess OT needs and possibly help with a taller toilet (+ new seal) and roll-in shower in place of the bathtub he flat refuses. Hate to say it, but this is taking so long, I think they are waiting for him to die rather than having to approve and fund it. (From his benefits). 😔

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Been there more times than I'd like to remember. Even at MC, when I'm visiting she'll have to go so just like all other times before MC I take her by the hand and try to make it to her room toilet but we rarely make it. I've c cleaned more piles of poop off the floor and her pull ups, shower. . .
    I don't like it but it never really bothered me that much I guess. Mostly because I know this is also traumatic for her as well even though she doesn't understand she is still very emotional about it. All I feel is heartbreak for her.

We all have our limits and there is nothing wrong with not being able to handle that part of dementia.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more