Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Newly diagnosed AD in DH

Early stage AD, we're told. He's still functional but it's been obvious something wasn't right because he would complain about not being able to focus on his newspaper. If he loses that and driving he will be difficult. I finally got him to the primary and then testing last fall. We finally got a PET scan last month and saw the NP on Monday. We had seen the Neuro a few months ago and he gave DH the simple cognitive test which he failed. Then he ordered a spinal tap which was not possible because he has a spinal fusion, (dumb doctor didn't notice the giant scar or listen to my DH when he said so?!). Now we are official. I know it's different for everyone but it seems his memory problems are getting worse. I think we are actually getting to MS of the disease so I'm glad to have found all of you!

I have set up my support group. Friends and one relative. He doesn't want to tell people but I needed to spill the beans to people I absolutely trust because I know I will need them.

I notice sometimes there's discussion here about ex parte talk with his doctor (in this case Nurse Practitioner but he likes her and she is very skilled). It sounds like I'm able to do that and they probably appreciate it?

Any timeline advice would be helpful. I read the booklet our NP gave us about what to expect as a care partner and I want to be ready for it. I know it can be different for everyone.

Comments

• rockymtngrrl
    rockymtngrrl Member Posts: 7
    First Comment

P.S. I was already setting up our estate planning docs so it just changed a few things on it. Our attorney knows he is competent but we are going to get a neuropsychology evaluation just to have with the new paperwork. That is something that is very important so I'm happy I was getting it done. I've also taken over the mortgage payments. That's what I noticed first. Overdue bills NEVER happened before.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,714
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. Make sure your power of attorney is durable and not "springing": that way you don't have to get declarations of incompetence to use it. There is a group for new members with a lot of frequently cited information (look to the right under Groups).

If paying bills is already a problem, you need to think carefully about his credit card, check, telephone, and internet access. My partner was very susceptible to mail and telephone solicitors, especially for animal charities, and in 2018 or 19 (stage 4ish) probably wrote $50,000 in donation checks before I caught on. Before i could take her checkbook away, i would offer to mail them and then just tear them up and throw them away covertly. She never knew the difference. You may want to freeze his credit status at all three credit bureaus also.

if you read a lot of threads, you'll learn to anticipate what may be ahead. Driving and finances are both very hot button issues that come up fairly early.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more