Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Do you visit your spouse in MC daily?

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been tryiing to visit my DW in MC at least every other day but it's becoming difficult in the sense that at first my DW is glad to see me and I her. After an hour or so she becomes agitated with me, sometimes for not being there 24/7 like I used to, or when it's time to leave.
She looks hurt and sad and I'm sure she is for the moment.
Sometiimes it's so difficult to see the staff needing to toilet her. She gets very very emotional and upset, she would get that way at home as well. Who wouldn't? Even with advanced dementia it's still a very traumatizing event to have someone help you clean yourself, change you and redress you.
My point. . . it's becoming exhaustin for me again to have to deal with so much emotion. I burned out from it when I was her 24/7 caregiver. I feel guilty if I don't go but I do really want to see her but it's becoming too much.
How do you do it? Where's the balance? Am I wrong if I decide I just don't want to deal with it today?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

No you're not wrong gh. I have plenty of days like that. I also try to go every other day. We are just now easing into bladder accidents, and I am expecting a big battle on this front. You just lost your mother too. If you need some days away, take them. Easier said than done i know.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Perfect words you guys!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

DH has been in memory care since January. It’s about 10 miles from our home. I try to get there three days a week. This is worked well so far.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DW has been in MC for 2-1/2 years and my visitation has change depending what is going on with her and with the community. Most of the time I visit 4 or 5 days a week but if something is going on with her I am there 6 or 7 days a week. At times when there was some virus (Covid/norovirus) going around the facility I would visit less often and at some times the facility has restricted visitation.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

DH has been in the facility a year now. I've only gone to visit once.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My husband is just ten minutes away and if I’m in town, I visit him once or twice a day. He is in advanced dementia and is beyond being able to make up any kind of argument when I leave, although he’ll ask where I’m going. If it’s in the daytime, I tell him I’m going to school, and if it’s bedtime, I tell him I live one building over, and I’ll see him in the morning. It seems wrong to say, I love this stage, but it’s such a relief from the past three years. He smiles and hugs me with relief when I visit. Then I think he forgets I haven’t been there. When I leave, shortly after he doesn’t remember I was there. I take him daily out for a one mile walk. Today he visited our dentist for a gentle teeth cleaning. Often, he enjoys running errands with me.

My husband is quiet and keeps his feelings to himself, and so aides will tell me he paces a lot, but he isn’t exit seeking or talking about getting out. He’s quiet when we are out, too. Sometimes he’ll say he can’t think what to talk about.

You might ask the staff about your wife’s behavior while you’re away all day. Is she actively searching for you or is she content to just be there with the other residents. Might ask, too, how long does it take for her to reset after you exit the building? then just trust your gut. If you think your visiting is hard on her, and you’re okay with staying away, it’s okay! Trust yourself. You’re an amazing caregiver, and you’re going through a difficult time- probably harder on you, then on her as she can’t hold onto these memories like you do.

• Pdxnewbie
    Pdxnewbie Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary 5 Likes

As others have said, you need to pace yourself and try to avoid any feelings of guilt -- easier said than done of course.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I go see my spouse twice a week: on Wednesdays after work and on Sunday afternoons. I learned that the Wednesday visit doesn't have to be very long—he used to start talking about the time and I'd know to leave, but now he tells me whatever news of the day a dozen times or so and then winds down and I know it's time to go after about 45 minutes or an hour. Sundays are usually 2 hours because we go out to lunch and another activity, but I think he's ready for his routine after all that.

• Denise50
    Denise50 Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

My LO has been in MC for 3 mos and I've visited twice a week….visiting on Bingo day makes the time pass easily and with fun and input from the group. I stay for 2 hours and it's a 1 1/2 hr round trip….and I'm exhausted afterwards…both physically and emotionally.

Anyone have any suggestions for books dealing with living with loneliness after a lo is placed??

• Denise50
    Denise50 Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

I think every other day is a lot. You need time to recharge and relax.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am in a similar place after DW had multiple stays in psych hospital and finally got to placement May 1. First 2 weeks I visited daily because I miss her and wanted to see what care she is receiving (good btw). The place is 30 minutes each way in good traffic. I vary the times morning/afternoon and usually am there in the hour before meals. Between leaving home March1 and now her decline has been dramatic. I am sure it is a combination of progression, trauma of multiple moves, and medications. She cannot have any normal conversation, can answer simple yes/no questions and occasionally comment on something that catches her attention - a bird flew by etc. She also hallucinates seeing something like a hair or thread, picking it up and giving it to me. Most of the visit we just listen to favorite music which is calming. I make my exit by helping her get seated for lunch/dinner and saying I’ll be back later. She usually doesn’t ask why but i have some excuses to go shopping or meeting a friend.

I intentionally skipped a day in advance of a short trip out of town to visit my family, to find she had no sense of time and does not know if I have been gone for an hour or multiple days. When I did get away for 3 days she still had no different reaction on my return. So now it’s more for me to adjust to separation, skip additional days, make other plans for my new and copious free time.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I usually visit my wife 5 days a week and stay for about an hour. I try to leave while she is distracted by something else.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more