Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stove top covers

Katcat
Katcat Member Posts: 52
25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes

what would be best to purchase to put over knobs on stove. I cannot pull knobs off my stove. I need covers. Something easy. Thanks.

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

there are stove knob covers and some that lock in place. Look for child proof stove knob covers or locks. I’ve been looking at them recently for my gas stove

• mpang123
    mpang123 Member Posts: 228
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Is there something for the stove that is touch operated? No knobs. My mom caught my dad trying to heat up a coffee mug on the stovetop.

• Katcat

that sounds good but I’d have to buy a new stove

• mpang123

Katcat, I think I wasn't clear. The stove is touch operated but I need something that prevents my dad from turning the stove on.

• Katcat

Geez don’t know how you can remedy this if it’s touch. I see what you mean.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

If you are able to modify the the kitchen slightly, an electrician can install a switch for the stove outlet and place it is a cupboard. When you are not using it turn the switch off and the stove will not be powered. A little cumbersome but effective.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Gas or electric?

Do the knobs not come off at all? If you can get them off, there are clam-shell covers that you can install on each knob. I don't know how robust they would be against an adult if they were determined to access the knobs. And there are stove knob locks that resemble hairpins and slide behind the knobs. Amazon has both.

A switch for the stove (or turning the circuit breaker off) would work, but for a gas stove it could make the situation more dangerous as it would kill the electronic ignition to the burners but not the flow of gas.

@mpang123 Some newer appliances have child lock systems built into them. My dishwasher and range both do. Unfortunately, on the range it only controls the touch buttons of the oven and not the gas burners. You can google the model number and look at the manual to see if this is available on their stove.

HB

• mpang123

thanks HB. I will look for it.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

After looking at bulky knob covers I decided to just remove the knobs. That has worked for me and he has no idea about the touch buttons for the oven.

• Katcat

thanks all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia