Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can you flunk out of Geri-psych?

My DH has been in Geri-psych 3 days, and last night went on a tear. The nurses had to lock themselves and the other patients in and call security. Because of the Memorial Day weekend, they haven’t done much adjusting of his meds; I think they added an extra 50 mg of Seroquel.

Do they ever kick patients out of Geri-psych?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh i am so sorry, you must be worried sick. I've never heard of it, but there may be different levels of security. Holiday weekends are the worst....please know we're thinking about you and let us know what happens.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for your concern, M1. Hopefully the psychiatrist will be back tomorrow and I can talk to him. I’m just very worried that someone will get hurt. My DH had an altercation in the ER when he was admitted and has a black eye. Today I noticed a bruise on his arm which might be from security having to intervene.

I will keep you informed.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

That sounds so distressing! Are you allowed to visit?

When my LO was baker acted, he was taken to a psych ward but it was not geri-psych. The visiting hours were limited to two days for one hour. I think I was more distressed than him. The nurses kept asking why he was there since they do not deal with dementia patients. They were successful at prescribing meds to calm his violence and aggression (his reason for being there). Since that incident he sees a geri-psychiatrist every other month now to adjust meds as needed.

Please let us know how you are doing. xo

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m so sorry you and he are suffering through this distressing situation over a holiday weekend. I’m a physician, like M1, and it’s really hard having a medical crisis over a holiday given staffing issues etc. I hope that his behavior at least gets him seen ASAP 5/28 and understood to be a patient who needs to be maximally stabilized before sending him anywhere like a facility or home. Hugs to you.

• clarinetist

Thanks, Caro_Lynne and housefinch. I really appreciate your good wishes. The unit has daily visiting hours, and he’s good while I’m there. It’s later that the sundowning starts…

His memory care will take him back if the psychiatrist can get him stabilized, and I want to be very sure he’s ready before they release him. This incident at least was a clear example of the issues he’s facing.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

When my DH was in an MC for respite care, I watched the nurse "feed" him his Seroquel in a little dixie cup around 8p before her shift ended. It was supposed to be his evening dose and help with sleeping. The next dose is not until 8a, so, a full 12 hours later.

She watched him swallow the cup full of water she handed him, and then she left. A few minutes later, DH removed the pill from his mouth and set it on the bedside table. I was able to give him some more water and get him to swallow the medicine. But if I hadn't been there, or had not noticed it and just left — he would eventually have had a meltdown for sure. And things would have gone further downhill from there without steps to get his meds in him and de-escalation training being used.

I really wonder if your DH may not have gotten his meds before the drama you describe. This must be so hard on you both. But at least he is safe and so are you. Sounds like the weekend and holiday staffing as housefinch mentioned. That plus so many different faces — must throw a PWD for a loop.

I hope you get much more positive news soon.

• clarinetist

Thanks, ButterflyWings. That’s a good point about the medication. I talked to the unit social worker today, and he was unfazed by my DH’s behavior and very reassuring. No talk of kicking him out. He had a good (relatively) night last night so fingers crossed!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

That is indeed encouraging, glad you got to speak with them today. Fingers crossed...

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more