Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fibs for MC intake

I am going to move DW to a MC place in June. Among the things I’m worried about, one is what story to tell her, which can be shared with family and friends when they visit her in MC. Any suggestions that have worked well for any of you? I am advised that it should be short, simple, and not anxiety-producing. But any advice, from you who have done this already, is welcome.
Tyrone

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Tyrone, therapy for a chronic back condition (scoliosis) has more or less worked for us. That and a general statement about monitoring other health conditions and preventing falls. Fortunately she has no sense of time.

II hope it goes well for you, will definitely want to hear.

• Sweetwater
    Sweetwater Member Posts: 7
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment

Tyrone, our house had problems with the foundation and needed repair. I found this nice apartment for you and I will be staying with our neighbors temporarily. It worked, but even with his impaired memory he still asked if the repairs were finished. I always said, "soon." It worked until he passed 9 months later.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

We used rehab. Dad had spent 7 weeks in rehab after a hospitalization and was not a fan. This memory stuck for some reason, so we told him his doctor wanted him to do some more rehab so we found this fancier place with private rooms. TBH they did have a PT come twice a week for a time.

HB

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I didn't tell my wife anything, but if I had tried to, she wouldn't have understood. I took her there and left just as they were serving lunch. I don't know what happened after that as I injured my foot two days later and couldn't return for a week. As far as I know, she never questioned being there and seems to have adjusted well to it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more