Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Getting so disappointed with myself

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Every morning I try to tell myself that this will be the day I have the patience and positivity I need to get through the repeated questions, the intense shadowing, the snapping at me for no good reason. And most every day, I disappoint myself. With my DH in probably late Stage 5, I should know better than to argue or snap back, but sometimes I just can't. Sometimes I just burst into tears and he has no idea why, and then I feel worse! I keep trying to tell myself it's not his fault that he blames me for everything, that he doesn't understand most words anymore, and that he really does not remember the answer I gave him 30 seconds ago. Just need to vent…and keep trying.

Comments

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

annie51…First, try not to be so hard on yourself. I am in fact where you are on most days. It’s so darn hard because we are the closest to them. It’s so hard to wrap your head around the fact that your world and their world is now so different. I’m still trying to realize that we need to meet them where they are and not where we are. The insults/blame feel so personal, I know but they are not. I too cry a lot, but then he says “stop your boo hooing” and I’m right back where I started. I am able to isolate myself, so that helps. I cook a lot and clean both to wear myself out plus he doesn’t want involved in those things. I have piles of journals I write in and that helps. We still do a lot of things together, but things do go south rather quickly these days. I’m constantly regrouping and switching to plan B or even C. I’m still determined to do as many things as possible but with little expectations. I’m so sorry, please keep reassuring yourself that you are doing the best you can.💜

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more