Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is Remission Possible in Lewy Body Dementia?

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 681
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

It's been over 6 months since Depakote was added to DH's meds. He continues to do extremely well, as if the disease never happened—a complete turnaround from the aggressive, combative and deranged psychopath he displayed last October (not caused by UTI infection). If you didn't know it, he appears/behaves as normal as can be. He's pleasant, sweet, alert, aware, with short and long-term memories in tact. He addresses staff and residents by name and greets them whenever passing by in hallways or the activity room. Around same time last year, he was a recluse opting to lie in bed all day staring at the ceiling, and refusing to eat at times or scarfing food down as if there's no tomorrow. Now, he wants to watch his favorite movies, so I got him a portable blu ray DVD player, and he started to operate it on his own without so much as even a peek at the instruction manual. Every morning, he's the first to go to the dining hall to wait for breakfast and eats at a normal pace. He does sit-ups and pushups in his room, reads the daily newspaper, even watches CNN in a neighbor's room and is now asking for his own TV. Says he's already finished all the movies including the original Star Trek series and is asking for the Star Trek Next Generation series among other favorites. The only remnant of the illness is that he still resists showers and pushes back when staff removes dirty laundry, although the resistance meter is way lower. Moreover, his urinary incontinence is completely gone! All of these changes just by having Depakote added.

Is this for real?! I know fluctuations are a hallmark of LBD, but lasting this long and seemingly getting better each month? Has anyone else seen this happen to their LOs? Is remission even possible? This is blowing my mind.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

That is quite remarkable Dio. Does he have a neuroloogist? That would be the person Id want to talk to....

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 1

DIo- I’m confused . I thought you had mentioned in other posts that you had been unable to visit him more than once. If so, how are you getting the detailed information about these changes? And are you sure you are getting valid information? Am I confusing you with a different member?

• Dio
    edited June 1

My family and his 3 best friends visit regularly and provide me reports each time. I speak to the lead med tech almost weekly to get updates. I also get reports from the night shift staff directly when I call in the evenings. So while all the info has been via third parties, the picture of his situation is quite well rounded.

• Dio
    edited June 1

M1, his neurologist was reluctant to add the Depakote and is also surprised by DH's improvement. He just said, "hope this lasts a long while, cheers!" And his psychiatrist was extremely pleased to hear of the improvements and took down detail notes on DH's dosages and time(s) of consumption. It's a conundrum to them. This is why I'm hoping our forum members may know or have experienced this to provide more insight.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I suggest you go online and contact the Lewy Body Association for any current updates on drugs. My husband had this disease and I found them helpful.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more