Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wandering

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Question: how to redirect or distract a LO that has begun their journey to “that” place. Many posts on this forum about wandering and attempts to redirect/distract before, but, i could use some thoughts on how to get a LO that has started of on their journey. I have posted before about wandering and a recent event. 99% of the time, asking if they would like to help run an errand or offering to take them “home: works. Any attempts at delaying only seem to aggravate the situation.

I know there ae no answers to so much of what we are encountering, just looking for: we tried this and it helped.

Related: the “this is not my home/house” seems to have increased lately, especially when LO is tired or has not eaten well that day. Recently is has required numerous trips ov varying lengths (we live in the country, only so many options) to get LO one to agree to come in the house. The other night, I was reminded of the old Kingston Trio song about Charlie and the MTA. Was expecting headline in local paper: “Roamed the back roads of Southern Maryland”

Anyhow, i appreciate everyone’s thoughts and inputs.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

i dont know that i can say anything that would help you with how to deal with this at home. There are at least three folks at our MC facility who are extreme wanderers, actually four that i can think of. It's interesting to watch. I think the wandering indicates something about what part of the brain is affected, because not everyone has it. With two of the four it is so severe that they require one on one aides during the waking hours because otherwise they drive everyone else to distraction, aides and residents alike. They literally cannot be still. The third is continually drawn to one other room that has had to be locked to keep her out of it. The fourth just wanders the halls asking how to get to the plane.

II hope you can find a solution. I would ask a doctor involved if it's worth a trial of medication for involuntary movement, but that's purely speculative. I have no idea if there's been any study of that.

• ClarkEb
    ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

thank you

God bless the people who care for them. My LO was one, spend her nursing career in geriatric nursing. We will ask her how she managed individuals with various dementia characteristics. And bam, she is right on it. But at 12:00 at night after several failed attempts, it is hard for me to remember, or reason with LO. Oldest daughter started doing this. Sometimes you are just to close to see possible solutions.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 3

I see this in DH as delusion-driven, moreso than constant uncontrollable motion per se. It increases in afternoons/sundowning time. Even now in late stages he tries, though some days he only gets up and paces a bit and/or moves to the next room (with me in tow), looking for what he needs to get ready to go. He distracts himself easily and unintentionally now though, trying to pick up whatever he spots (and now, put it in his mouth ugh).

Meds helped with delusions generally and mellowed out his determined exit-seeking (Seroquel) so I could get a handle on actual elopement back in mid-stages. But he still says he's gotta go Every. Single. Day. And tries to do so, when he has the energy. DH believes he is due at work, at a meeting, picking up his dad or mom (long gone from this world), etc. And heading off to work or whatever he informs me of — that is truly his goal every waking hour unless distracted by anything that can hold his interest.

This has not changed since diagnosis and on reflection I realize it was happening before then but I thought it was just his work ethic. That was true as he has ALWAYS been on the go all his life, but also wandering-elopement instinct took it to a new level. Edit: Occasionally I had to give DH up to 10 mg of OTC Melatonin liquid in a small glass of juice or water to slow his roll. It did not sedate or put him to sleep, but he'd sit down and chill. I would not recommend that unless you are going to ensure they do not leave the premises. Drowsiness and stairs or other impediments do not mix.

For us, acceptable (temporary) distractions have always been…

• food,
    • a phone call (sometimes to me saying "the meeting is cancelled, or remember this is a holiday and office is closed", etc. e.g. fiblet, fake call once he could not longer manage phone conversations)
    • a movie on Hulu, You Tube, etc. (repeating a favorite one is fine — he did not remember seeing it)
    • music that I call his attention to (a song he likes)
    • something for him to hold and look at or write on (not so much these days. Hyper oral point above)

*I think you are asking how to stop a LO once they already have embarked (?) and that is harder to do. Best to head them off at the pass, at all costs, I have found. That does require 24/7 line of sight supervision. A one on one, as M1 said, during waking hours (which might be midnight or 3am as ClarkEb mentioned. Been there, done that.

My sympathies for anyone dealing with this. Eyes in the back of your head, sleep deprivation and tap dancing are par for the course if you are caring for a wandering PWD. Whew!

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I feel for you. My husband looks to go "home" about once a week. I used to take him out for rides to reset his thinking,, but now I try my best to not even get into the car. It doesn't work anymore.

A week ago he had the worst episode yet. He had to go "home" to take care of his elderly aunt. I wouldn't take him in the car so he started wandering around outside with me following him. Eventually, at 9 PM he became too tired and went to bed. His geripsych thinks that this happened because my DH has shingles.

DH woke up this morning saying he has to go to school. I told him school is closed for the summer. He believed me and went back to bed. I can only hope that it's not going to be one of those days.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I barred the doors. Then Distract and redirect. Fib. If you are not able to keep them safe, consider whether it’s time for an MCF.

• 13Nuget
    13Nuget Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment

My DH has VD & AD. He was in a plateau for a while just sleeping/resting all day and getting up for meals and then going back to bed. He'd be most awake around 4 PM. May take a nap for a while till dinner, which we have around 7:30 PM and he goes to bed around 9-10 PM. He was even sleeping/resting through the night which was great for me. Now he is up a lot wandering around the house at all times of night. He is also leaving the house at 3 AM and going for a walk. I am a light sleeper and the front door squeaks so I can hear him leaving. I'm not getting any sleep and I can't keep chasing after him like that. I can't see where I can add a lock on our front door and I am afraid if it is locked he may get frustrated and break the glass. Any suggestions? I doubt those pressure mats would work as he'd just pick it up. Thanks

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum 13Nuget. Talk to his doctor about medication to help him sleep through the night. Sleep fragmentation is pretty common with the brain damage of this disease.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

there are many types of door locks on Amazon that he probably won’t be able to undo. Look for the type that works with the type of door handle you have.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more