Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH won't wear his dentures - latest thing to happen...

SDianeL
SDianeL Member Posts: 878
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

MY DH Lonny has been in Memory Care for 6 months. The latest in behaviors: more agitation & they have him heavily medicated. He's urinary incontinent & doesn't like them to change his adult diaper & clothes and becomes combative with his caregivers. He took out his dentures & refuses to allow them to put them back in. So they put him on soft foods. Due to my cancer surgery 4/25 I have been unable to visit as often as I would like. Yesterday he was asleep when we arrived and it broke my heart seeing him that way. He looks like he's going downhill more rapidly lately. He does get out of bed into a wheelchair so he's not completely bedridden yet. He's a fall risk due to not being able to use a cane, not being able to learn how to use a walker, and due to being medicated. Just wanted to give an update. I'm so sad today. 😪

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry to hear this Diane. We are just starting the incontinence issue also and i fear it's going to be the same thing. But there are no good choices. I'm glad to hear from you regardless but sad with you. Hang in there. Hope you're doing okay with your treatment.

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m so sorry. I think you need to pick your battles. And dentures would be way down on the priority list. He will allow them when he wants them. Until then, he’s being fed.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hugs to you ((( )))

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm sorry Diane. It's so hard to watch. I wouldn't try to force the denture issue. He's getting nourishment, so I'd just let it be. I know it's hard. Big hugs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more