Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband thinks he needs to go somewhere

jecoiner
jecoiner Member Posts: 7
5 Care Reactions First Comment

my husband thinks he is supposed to go “home” when we are already at home. He is quite adamant. How can I dissuade him without getting into a big hassle?

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 4

@jecoiner

Here are some tips from one of the leading experts on dementia caregiving. Teepa Snow advocates for using the validation technique, which allows you to validate the underlying feelings, distract and redirect. This is preferable to trying to reason with someone whose reasoner is broken, as we say here.

Welcome to the club that no one ever wants to need. Very glad you found us though the reason we are all here is tragic. Still, this is the best place for fellow caregivers - personal experts in progress, who are living through what you are facing. We help each other.

This is a long version of Teepa Snow's guidance on what to do when they want to "go home" (full 2 hours and well worth it). And a much shorter one is below that (<15 minute summary). Good luck to you. Read as many posts as you can - it helped me immeasurably through the past nearly years. I hope this helps.

Full version:

Short YouTube clip☝️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living