Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Drugs

jecoiner
jecoiner Member Posts: 7
5 Care Reactions First Comment

what drug works best to manage delusions?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. There a number of choices, but the best tolerated are the atypical antipsychotics like Seroquel/quetiapine and Risperdal/risperidone. Rexulti is a newer one in that family that has a specific indication for agitation in Alzheimers disease, but it’s very expensive and not clearly better than the older, cheaper drugs. All of these carry an “black box” warning about risk for heart attacks and strokes in older adults, but the risk is actually pretty low, and the delusions are usually so unpleasant that most decide the trade off is worth it.
    Other ones used in more refractory cases are Zyprexa/okanzapine and Depakote/valproic acid. Someone recently had good results with an anticonvulsant called Lamictal/lamotrigine too.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Seroquel/Quetiapine has worked wonders for us. I’ve said many times, it was like a magic pill. Literally has made it possible for me to care for DH at home all this time, making a super stressful mid stages manageable.

Currentjy Stage 7 and 300mg a day keeps him mellow, non-sedated, and more easily redirected though dementia still throws us the inevitable curve balls.

The occasional delusion is not a crisis now, and using validation techniques, fiblets and on the job experience + Seroquel is the reason. Meds disappeared his worst delusions and hallucinations.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited June 4

Seroquel was a wonder drug for my DW her last 3-4 years. Worked up slowly from 25mg to a max of 75mg per day spaced out, early afternoon (50mg) and then evening (25mg). Her last 5-6 months reduced to just 50 mg and then none her last couple of weeks. I gave them to her in instant pudding or applesauce.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Just adding to what others said - Seroquel is working wonders for my DH. He has been taking it for over 1 year. He is currently on 200 mg per day and doing okay (at least as far as very minimal/mild delusions or hallucinations).

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Those drugs mentioned also not specific to delusions but work on various psychotic behaviors to help stabilize mood. I accepted mood swings were part if the disease for quite a while until it became disruptive, then started asking neurologist for options. Seroquel was the first choice for us too.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Seroquel is working so well for my DH. Hallucinations are all but gone and the delusions are occasional minus the anxiety and agitation. It makes life so bearable. My DH is now taking 50mg after dinner and his Dr just prescribed 25 mg in the morning. He naps quite a bit but at least he is calm when awake. His sense of humor is also back - I’ve missed that! I hope it is as helpful for you and your LO, if you decide to go with it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more