Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My fiance has early onset Alzheimers. He is 57.

Hello,

My fiance was diagnosed with early alzheimers when he was 54. It has progressed since then. He is now 57 and his speech is not good and gets confused a lot. I don't feel the medication he is slowing it down. He is on galantamine and mentanine. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Angela

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Angela. Medications and Best Practices may prolong the early stages for a time, but progression is inevitable. He and you will have to take steps to prepare for the later stages, which are coming. But most of the preparation will be on YOU, or other family members if he has children or siblings who want to be the responsible person. Someone will have to be in charge of his medical care and his finances. This is a big challenge, you may not be up to it since you are not married. If you visit the Spouse/Partner board, you will get more responses. There are other unmarried couples there.

Be aware that PWDs (persons with dementia) are unaware of having dementia and that they are no longer functioning normally. This is called anosognosia and it is a characteristic of dementia, it is not denial. Anosognosia causes PWDs to be vulnerable because they don't recognize safety hazards, thus they should not be alone.

Iris

• klucey
    klucey Member Posts: 41
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

you can name anyone to be his power of attorney. Check with a disability or elder care atty. a POA will allow you legally to oversee all aspects of care, finances. I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s important to get support for yourself- contact the Alz Association help line. They can provide free counseling and connect you to local resources including caregiver support groups, also check in with the caregivers support board here

• aocon1215
    aocon1215 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you!

• tms56
    tms56 Member Posts: 4
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

my doc took me off of both of them because they weren’t working. Not taking any med for it right now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more