Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sweet but sad...Buck up, honey

M1
M1 Member Posts: 6,711
1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Some days in this journey are memorable and this was one of them. The trauma of her Monday fall caught up with my partner today, she was sleepy, achy, sore, and tearful. She has no memory of the fall nor of the night in the ER. She woke up about lunchtime a bit. Crying, she looked at me and said, "my life is over...I can't live this way. What do we do now?"

FWIW, she knows she has my blessing to let go when it gets to be too much. We've had those conversations too. But today, with tears in my own eyes I reminded her (true story) of the best Chinese fortune cookie i ever got, which said: "Nature, time, and patience are the three great physicians.". That was taped to my office computer for years and years.

She smiled. Then I told her (also true) that when I am down, i many times ask myself what she would tell me to do. And there's only one answer to that: she would always say, " Buck up, baby." So i told her it was her turn to buck up.

So that made her laugh. And I told her my other constant inspiration was Churchill, for courage and never giving up. She proceeded to get out of bed and ate a great lunch, sitting at our little table by the window. Ten or fifteen minutes later she looked over at me and repeated "Buck up, honey." And smiled again. I was shocked she remembered it that long. And then she went back to bed and to sleep.

We are struggling to find a way to manage a loner who is mobile but has absolutely no safety awareness. One of these falls is almost inevitably going to cause a catastrophic injury. Driving home yesterday morning in my sleep deprived state i almost wished it had been this one.

Combination of one on one companion, cameras, and bed monitor is the current plan. But it's not foolproof.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

M1 that’s about the best thing I’ve heard in a while. What a great love story ❤️

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 352
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

What a wonderful story! I have to admit that it brought tears to my eyes. Praying for you both as you continue to walk each other home.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm in awe of you, your care for your partner, and your resilience. What a beautiful moment for the two of you.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Definately sweet but sad. I hope you were able to rest .

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 196
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary

Thank you for sharing that with us.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

It must be very sweet to have these moments of connectedness in this midst of all of this loss. Thanks for sharing this poignant one.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So glad one of your DW's lucid moments happened for you as you face all the suffering with her falls. Your fortune cookie wisdom inspired me.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hear you M1. I'm waiting constantly for that call that she fell and seriously hurt herself. She has osteoporosis so even a small fall can be catastrophic. I don't want to see her go all the way down this rabbit hole but I also don't want to her to go through the pain of a fall. She's fallen twice at MC so far. I know that call is coming.

A fall is what did my mom in as well. Hang in there M1.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Cameras, monitors and a companion sounds like a good solution at this point. The injuries from that last fall sounds terrible. It’s a good thing she doesn’t remember it. So good to hear you had some quiet, lucid time together. It sounds like the move to the new room was a good decision.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

M1, how touching and sweet that she remembered. It's so hard watching our loved ones decline and waiting for that dreaded phone call that they have fallen. I hope the companion, camera, and bed alarm can help.

Brenda

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

M1- so sweet! You handled that perfectly.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thanks for sharing a beautiful moment with your loved one. Moments like that keep us going.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited June 7

Sending you understanding and support for your journey.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@M1 What a lovey story.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia